Author Topic: Date and Info on Dresden Tureen(?)  (Read 1110 times)

FamilyHeirlooms

• Geneaologist researching my family heirlooms
    • View Profile
Date and Info on Dresden Tureen(?)
« on: February 24, 2023, 10:53:27 pm »
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has experience with Dresden china and if they could tell me anything about this piece. My mother recently downsized to a smaller home. While cleaning out her basement we came across this piece. I believe it's a soup tureen, but I'm not 100% sure.

My mother wasn't sure where it came from. It was not one of her pieces and she believes it may have belonged to my grandmother. In my research I did come across one website that said the mark on the bottom was from the Dresden Pottery Company of East Liver Pool, Ohio, and that they used this mark between 1905 and 1925. Those dates would line up perfectly with something my grandmother would have purchased. But this single website is the only source I have been able to find, so I am not sure how accurate it is.

The tureen has no markings on it at all except for the mark on the bottom. Here are some pictures of it.

Thanks.

Joe

FamilyHeirlooms

• Geneaologist researching my family heirlooms
    • View Profile
Re: Date and Info on Dresden Tureen(?)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2023, 10:57:50 pm »
Here are some more pictures of it.

Sorry for the 2nd post, I am having trouble getting the pictures to upload.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2023, 09:41:57 am »
Does the lid have a notch cut out for the ladle handle? If so, you can be sure it is a soup tureen. If not, since it looks like a lower profile, I wonder if it is more of a serving dish?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2023, 12:35:31 pm »
Large casseroles are not as common and this appears to be one (I cannot see a notch on either end of the lid that would accommodate a ladle.) 

To help offset the weight of a heavy lid you see that it has a double finger handle on the lid.

This piece is a very old one and the crazing would be consistent with an older piece.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!