Author Topic: Wrought Iron Trivet  (Read 2220 times)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Wrought Iron Trivet
« on: April 14, 2020, 08:04:15 am »
This was an item from a haul out of an estate sale. The house had been lived in by several generations of the same family. Everything that was in the place was 19th and early 20th century American. Enterprise grinder, model wood stove, enamelware, furniture  etc. This was the only item I never sold because I knew little about it. Each section is hand split and curled. I used grease relief to clean of layers of old grease, so it got a lot of use. I have never seen a trivet made like this. Can anyone tell me anything about its age or origin. My guess is someone that lived there might have made it. I tried to add detail pictures but the site is telling me the pictures are too large. Thanks
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 08:08:14 am by frogpatch »

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Wrought Iron Trivet
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 12:08:50 pm »
You forgot to tell us what it was made of (iron, wood, tin, ?) and what its dimensions are (wide, thick)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 07:06:39 pm »
I am guessing 3/8th in. for the spirals ??i HAVE SEEN SOME MADE SIMILAR BUT NOT IN THAT CONFIGURATION !!  darn hit the caps lock !!  Ignore the caps !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 04:55:48 am »
A reason for my insanity.

Now I’m aware that you called the item a “Wrought Iron Trivet”, …. but my being a wee bit familiar with the problems of casting items out of “wrought iron”, I am sure it would be tricky to get the molten iron to flow into all those “curly que” loops before it hardened up.

Now I found a round “Lazy Susan” cast iron piece, with an intricate pattern, that was like 14” in diameter and took it to an iron foundry in Westmoreland. NY and ask how much it would cost to reproduce. It was during the time when ‘cast iron’ wood burning cook stoves were hot items. 😊

He smiles and said “can’t do it cause it requires a high phosphorous cast iron to flow thru the mold”.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 07:44:38 am »
This one is neither wrought nor cast !!  Just bent !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 09:36:42 am »
Each arm is split and curled from a single piece of stock then riveted to the center, If you enlarge it you can see that it is done with a hand tool. I saw an iron working school using this technique online. In other words they take a heated square iron rod and split it in several parallel cuts and curl them. The feet are done similarly. It is about eight inches wide.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 12:35:51 pm »
OK, …… I now see the light.  :-[ :-[

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 12:46:27 pm »
I would like to see a closeup of the "feet".  Wondering if in fact it is a trivet because all of the ones I have seen have small,ball-like, feet.  If I am enlarging the picture and seeing correctly through the trivet, it is longer.

Is it hollow?

They used to make designs like this for the wall is why I am asking.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 04:06:54 pm »
KC,, if you notice there is one curl slightly longer than the others,, think its at the bottom of the pic !!  May have hung from the wall !!  These were popular in the 60`s and 70`s !! Thats 1960`s !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 09:26:51 am »
I will try tp post the foot picture but the site would not allow it the last time due to the size. Makes no sense. The feet (six) are under each section and are a piece of curled iron. The one on the right is pretty easy to see if you enlarge it. Their is no longer piece to hang it from. It is symmetrical. The face that I had to clean a century of grease off of it makes me pretty sure it is a trivet.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 09:53:27 am by frogpatch »

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 11:41:22 am »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2020, 05:42:21 am »
After taking a closer look  ( now that I have most of this food where it needs to be ),, it is indeed a  wrought piece made differently from the later ones !!  Hubby made me buy enough food for the next year,, I think !!  This corona virus thing is getting on my nerves !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2020, 10:31:08 am »
Mart, …. I sent you a 'private' message ……. so you should be getting an E-mail notice of it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 06:26:24 pm »
Got it Cogar !!  Appreciate the help although still haven`t figured out the problem yet !!