Author Topic: The “note pad” post  (Read 899 times)

cogar

• View Profile
The “note pad” post
« on: May 29, 2020, 05:14:38 am »
Ideas that might prove helpful

1. If planning to “stain” new wood, coat it first with a mixture of 50/50 shellac & wood alcohol, sand smooth with ‘00’ steel wool, then apply stain.

mart

• View Profile
Re: The “note pad” post
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 03:19:46 pm »
Not sure if I would use quite that much shellac !  I thought it didn`t allow stain to take on some woods !  But if on oaks works as well as any  commercial sealer !  I used 4-0 steel wool !  Gave a bit smoother finish if cleaned  well and no dust remains before staining and final finish !

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 05:30:42 am »
Not sure if I would use quite that much shellac

That’s why one should ‘experiment’ with different mixtures for each project.

I thought it didn`t allow stain to take on some woods

Applying 100% shellac without sanding after application will prevent “staining” of the wood underneath. Shellac is a commonly  used 'wood finish', ..... ya know.

One only applies the 50/50 shellac/alcohol mixture if they want a “consistent” stain color over the entire piece …… but it must be sanded before applying stain.

The alcohol acts as a “carrier” ……and it per se, carries the shellac deep into and “sealing” the wood grain.

So, when  the wood is sanded, it exposes the top layer of wood to the full potency of the stain, ….. but the stain won’t penetrate any deeper into the wood, …… which would cause dark n’ light areas iffen it did. 

cogar

• View Profile
“Do it yourself”, ….. cheap crack filler.
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 01:51:07 pm »

When renovating or refinishing wood furniture that has a “crack” or “break” where the wood grain has separated, …….. make your own “wood putty” for making the repair.

Use sandpaper to sand the wood you are refinishing and collect the “wood dust”, ….. 1 to 3 teaspoons full, …… depending on width & length of the crack.

Mix enough “wood dust” and wood glue to make a really thick, almost dry, paste and fill up the crack in the wood. Then scrape across the top of the “crack” to remove excess putty.

Then apply a thin coat of wood glue just overtop of the “crack” and cover it with a liberal amount of “wood dust” and then pat the “dust” down kinda firmly like, …. leaving it heaped up a bit …. and let it dry. (As the glue dries the putty will shrink)

Then sand it smooth and apply the stain, finish, whatever.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 04:00:40 pm »
Have used good old Elmers wood glue many times in that manner !