Author Topic: Painting And Gold Shower Heads  (Read 7727 times)

Alaucard

Re: Painting And Gold Shower Heads
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 06:51:16 pm »
If it is oil on canvass, and not printed on canvass then you should be able to easily tell as it isn't glazed? , but that canvass on the back looks remarkably new.
He was very prolific, and I've seen a couple of his originals over the years, one was in Italy, just take a look at this site

http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/list.php?s=tu&m=a&aid=1504&p=5

what do you mean by glazed im not too familiar.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 11:43:44 pm »
Hi, Sorry, an oil on canvass won't normally have glass protecting it, except expensive paintings in museum, that is generally only for added protection against vandals, or some on weak backings. So you can get up close, touch your painting and easily see whether it is an actual painting and not a print.

Alaucard

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 05:00:39 am »
Hi, Sorry, an oil on canvass won't normally have glass protecting it, except expensive paintings in museum, that is generally only for added protection against vandals, or some on weak backings. So you can get up close, touch your painting and easily see whether it is an actual painting and not a print.

visually you can see the indentations of individual brush strokes such as the ones in the buildings on the right it looks a bit smudged yellow white. those lines of paint have depth to them its not a flat surface if that makes sense. in my honest opinion i think it is actual paint, but im not really an expert. one person said if it says by utrillio on the back its a reprint? i wonder if he's right though.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 05:02:50 am by Alaucard »

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 11:19:36 am »
It really is impossible to give any real verdict just looking at photos. That back does look quite new, and that is a worry. I really do believe that the only way to resolve this is to take it to an auction house and get them to look at it. As I mentioned earlier, many will provide free appraisals.

What is interesting is that I haven't found that particular version of that street.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 11:46:25 am »
...What is interesting is that I haven't found that particular version of that street.

That street must have been a popular subject not only for Utrillo, but other artists as well.
http://france.jeditoo.com/IleDeFrance/Paris/18eme/rue-ste-rustique.htm

Perhaps an email / photos to these folks would help answer some questions?
http://www.utrilloexperts.com/fees.html

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 12:03:15 pm »
Giclee prints are hard to distinguish from the originals by inexperienced people since the brush strokes are reproduced in detail !!  About the only way to tell the difference is by the canvas itself !!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 01:44:19 pm »
I would be surprised if they could tell very much more by simply looking at photos. And although the first is free, the $1500 fee for possibly authenticating it is a rather lot of money.

I hate to repeat myself, but is there not a decent Fine Art Auction House nearby that you could take it to?   

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 02:16:49 pm »
New staples and canvas says giclee print on canvas !!  His prints can be bought all over the internet !!   

Ipcress

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 02:51:23 pm »
An original Utrillo wouldn't have that ink stamp that says "by Utrillo." It's a reproduction.

The clown on the toilet looks like it was inspired by the "Phi Zappa Krappa" poster of the 60s/70s. In other words, choose a cultural icon (rock star, clown) and show him sitting on the toilet, thus "deconstructing" the traditional cultural tropes surrounding him. Funny the first time.

Not just that but there appears to be a printers mark beneath the sig.

Quite obviously not an original. Just a poor print.

This is the original, in a museum in Rennes.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 03:04:43 pm »
He did a similar view of the same street in 1921 !!  It sold at Christies in 2011 for $195,000.+ !!  Was owned by Roland Caillaud, Paris !!

Ipcress

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 03:19:22 pm »
Yeah, he painted it several times.

A few months ago, a poster on here asked about an original with a label on the reverse, can you remember ? Paris square, trees. Seems this artist painted the same street, too.

It's a small world. Sometimes.

Alaucard

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 07:33:08 pm »
ok thank you for being honest grandpa is not going to be too happy, but if the original is already in a museum, there cant be another original. thanks for putting this case to bed. :(

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 07:55:58 pm »
These newer giclee prints that reproduce the look of brush strokes are hard to tell for those inexperienced  !! They can fool easily !!
And those shower heads have such a thin layer of electroplate usually over a brass base that it adds little to the value !!  But some people like the vintage fixtures !!  I worked on a three story (new) Victorian for a couple a few years back and they did one bath with this same type fixture in their bedroom !!  Strange taste they had !!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2013, 11:50:46 pm »
But some people like the vintage fixtures !!  I worked on a three story (new) Victorian for a couple a few years back and they did one bath with this same type fixture in their bedroom !!  Strange taste they had !!

It's true, mart, about the value of the gold plate, although the Italians do a remarkably good job with their plating so it seems, and it is just these sort of people that will pay $$$ for something like that, especially if it is 'vintage' ... there is always a market, it's just a question of pinning down the buyer

steffan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2020, 01:58:09 am »
They seem to be a little older than the 40 years, it's hard to tell how much these can be in demand. we used to have ALWUD Golden Shower Set for a while, it is the best removable shower head Wall Mounted Shower System with Rain Shower and Handheld. it contains unique encryption explosion-proof hose, anti-winding, remove the shortcomings of hose winding water is not smooth. also, it can be used as a rain showerhead and multi-function handheld together or separately