Author Topic: Tea Storage Chest  (Read 2216 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Tea Storage Chest
« on: February 10, 2023, 08:04:16 am »
I have a lot of questions about this one.

I picked this up on eBay and it is a wonderful chest for storing different types of tea, at least that was it's purpose that the seller stated! Indeed, there were some bits of old tea in it. But I cannot find another example like it anywhere. I have tried searching for similar storage chests- humidors, spice chests, tea ceremony chests and gaming chests, but they are all different. This is very clearly not a jewelry box, there is no place for a humidor's sponge, and the storage boxes are lined with painted-on tinning, which tells me it was intended for storing something perishable. I love the folding design and hidden drawers, every bit of the space is used for storage and it holds a lot of tea! It also does not strike me as being a one-off handmade original, it looks more like an item that many were made of.

I am also not 100% certain whether this is Japanese or Chinese. I am leaning toward Japanese for the following reasons: The architecture of the pagoda and bridges in the paintings most closely resemble Japanese architecture, and the boat sails in the paintings look like Japanese traditional boats, Chinese sails are more fan-like. The box is wood, the interior and bottom are lacquered.

The hardware has tiny individually slotted screws securing it, many of them with off-center slotted heads. The locking mechanism is an old, half-mortise lock, so based on the lock and hardware as well as the paintings, which look a bit "tourist-y" I'm dating it to pre-WWII about 1920s or 1930s. (Modern locks and mass-produced screws became common after that point).

And what is with the carved bird and monkey attack scene on the top?!! The closest image I can find to this is a Japanese painting of an eagle attacking a monkey at the Met. Asian art is full of depth and symbolism. Why would you have a bloody attack scene on the top of the top of a tea box, with nice peaceful imagery of scenery, birds and flowers on the interior?

I would appreciate any ideas and insight, especially similar examples. Here are the pictures:

Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Tea Storage Chest
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2023, 03:45:38 am »
Beautiful chest.  The Monkey/Bird scene is a new one for me.  Will research it some.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2023, 08:35:43 am »
Thanks KC, the only similar work I could find was the one at the Met. This bird does have a disticnt hook bill, but otherwise does not particularly look like an eagle. The three monkeys (3rd is in the backgound behind the one being attacked) clearly look distressed, not as if they are carrying off the bird, so I think its a bird of prey, and it is about to havemonkey sandwich for lunch!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 09:59:19 am »
I did find out that with the painted on tinning, this is a tea box. That's about all I have learned so far. Looking at other examples, I think this is a later one, so I think I am pretty close with a 1920s age estimate. There was a point when tea became a cheap commodity, 1931 at the absolute latest, and the tea box and the need to lock up tea, became obsolete.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 10:07:11 am by talesofthesevenseas »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 06:14:09 pm »
https://www.google.com/search?q=what+items+woulle+be+kept+in+a+japanese++storage+box+besides+tea&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

Sometimes Google helps,,, LLook through these and see if you can find something  similar,, which is unlikely !!  Most things like this would have been a one of !! jmo !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2023, 10:47:55 pm »
Tales of, I also do not believe that this is a jewelry chest or storage chest.

With the tin lined drawers it could be for teas, herbs or tobaccos. It does not have a brazier so it isn't for food/cooking like many tea chests are.  I do believe this one was made to be mobile.

The hawk/eagle represents strength and power.  The three monkeys originally represented 3 wise monkeys in early Japanese art but was later representing foolish and troubling spirits.  With the bird attacking I would lean towards a medicinal use for the chest. (which could still be teas)

However, that said, I do believe this is made in the same thought of what I have come to know as a "Campaign Style Tea Chest" that many naval ships had earlier that the dates you named above.  They were designed after tea chests from the east.  Here is an example of a Campaign style tea chest https://michaelpashbyantiques.com/shop/asian-campaign-colonial/rare-naval-campaign-tea-safechest/

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2023, 10:55:55 pm »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2023, 02:25:15 pm »
Thanks for the info KC! I think we can eliminate it being a humidor since there is no sponge compartment or holder. I agree, it has to be tea (or less likely, spices). I couldn't find an example that folds like this one. The symbolism on the top sure seems out of place compared to the rest, but I think it must be Japanese. I don't  know if I will ever understand that part of it, but it is kind of a fun mystery! I posted it in a tea caddy forum on FB and did not get any answers there. Most caddies in that group are English or American. This does seem to be an unusual one!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2023, 02:57:39 pm »
I find it fascinating that it used the symbolism of the 3 monkeys.  (In Buddhism they have 4 monkeys!  https://vsuete.com/four-wise-monkeys/)

In original Japanese culture/faith the 3 monkeys were considered wise, sacred and mediators between the Gods and humans. They then around 13th Century began to mean/depict the foolishness and deficiencies of humans.

To me this hawk eagle goes along with the symbolism that the hawk (superior, good and god-like) is overtaking the monkeys (foolish humananity).  But....then there seem to be sparrows on the tops of the containers = which represent prosperity and fertility.  I'm wondering if this was made as a gift for someone that was not in the Japanese culture.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2023, 09:53:14 am »
Or a tourist item maybe?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2023, 02:01:11 pm »
I think they are  swallows,,  not sparrows !!  Symbolizing good luck and fertility !! 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2023, 12:53:12 am »
An expensive tourist item.  Or it was made as a gift!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2023, 07:29:55 am »
I posted the tea chest on a FaceBook group and got an interesting answer that explains the image on the top of the box. It is Zen imagery, depicting the bird of prey as frredom or liberation from the three poisons that are considered the root of all evil: greed, hatred and ignorance/delusion.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2023, 12:22:54 pm »
Sorry, had a death in the family and missed a few days. 

Talesof, that interpretation does go along with the meanings of the individual characters.

I guess someone would like to view that meaning!?! while making tea? 

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2023, 06:35:58 pm »
I suppose so! I am sorry to hear about your loss. *hug*