Author Topic: Newbie..How do you tell if something is antique?  (Read 1338 times)

pmfinnegan2

• View Profile
Newbie..How do you tell if something is antique?
« on: December 02, 2005, 07:58:55 am »
A few years ago I purchased a couch and chair.  The people selling it told me they were antiques.  How do I tell if they are antiques or just reproductions?  Also, they are for sale if anyone is interested...you'd probably get a great deal if they are antiques.  Feel free to email me if interested or if you have an answer to my question, pmfinnegan2@yahoo.com   Thanks!!!

Newbie..How do you tell if something is antique?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 03:11:27 pm »
It's difficult to define "antique".  In my shopping around and in researching people's treasures I've seen that word used to describe items from the 1960's.  Because I grew up in an East Coast city, I was surrounded by "antiques".  Most of us didn't consider Victorian furniture from the 1880's 1890's to be antique.  It was just old.  Antique was reserved for items before 1850.  But then what is "vintage"?  or "retro"?  If you can determine the era when your furniture was made you can refer to it as that.  Or pre WWII.  If you can easily see the frame from underneath, can identify the style, the wood, the type of nails or screws, carving,  it might help.  Quality is important regardless of era.  Best wishes, KB