Author Topic: K.T.& K. Pitcher  (Read 31161 times)

iahorne

• View Profile
K.T.& K. Pitcher
« on: November 30, 2005, 03:47:29 pm »
I have an old pitcher from my mother in law that is cream, size about 8 1/2 tall and 9 inches wide from spout to back of handle.  No decorations except for what looks like a 1/2 inch rope around the handle at the top of the curve.  On the bottom it says "K.T. & K." with a line under it.   Under that is "S-----V" with a line under it.  Then under that it says "CHINA.". and under that it says "S.F.J."  As to age, I only know my mother in law is 92 and the pitcher belonged to her mother.  Can anyone give me an idea if it has any value other than sentimental?

K.T.& K. Pitcher
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 04:14:39 am »
Is the surface smooth or has it got like an orange peal look to it ?, when you touch it does it feel warm or cold?, how heavy is it?.

iahorne

• View Profile
K.T.& K. Pitcher
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 04:32:00 am »
The pitcher is cold to the touch and it is heavier than I would have expected.  The glaze is what I think is called crazed.  It is smooth but it has little lines running through it, kind of like wrinkled paper.  

K.T.& K. Pitcher
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 09:26:30 pm »
knowles taylor & knowles - what does that mean "s dash dash etc v"?  is it a pattern name? do you have the letters in between?  This could be very old and it would help ID if you could post pics here - unfortunately I can't do e-mail pics - if you can post pics one of the pitcher and at least one of the bottom showing backstamp would be great -   Thanks,  post back - KB

iahorne

• View Profile
K.T.& K. Pitcher
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 03:30:52 am »
The "S----V" is actually an "S" with a solid line from the "S" across to the "V", about mid height.  I do not know what it means.   I will make a digital photo of the pitcher and the bottom of the pitcher and attempt to attach them, probably sometime tomorrow.  
Thanks.  

iahorne

• View Profile
K.T.& K. Pitcher
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 02:06:45 am »
I found out it was bought about 50 plus years ago an an Indian meeting in Texas.  I have tried and tried to upload a picture of the letters on the bottom, but it says the upload failed.  I have it in jpeg form and it is 3.32 KB in size, so I don't know what is the matter.  

K.T.& K. Pitcher
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 05:50:22 am »
I know this may not be much help but I do not think this is English, I have been through all the makers and none fit, so the chances are it was made on your side of the pond.
It sounds like earthenware and with the crackled glazing could have been thrown by a very good amateur, this does not reduce its valve some of these potters works are very highly thought of, but identification can be difficult
A photo would be good all the best with your item sorry I could not be of more help

hmmmm

• View Profile
K.T.& K. Pitcher
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 01:31:56 pm »
Sounds like a similar pitcher that I have that was my grandmothers, I seen one in an antique store a couple of years ago and it was priced at 150.00 then. Wish I knew more...sorry and good luck

Tim

• View Profile
K.T.& K. Pitcher
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 05:28:59 pm »
As KB stated: Knowles, Taylor, Knowles.....started in East Liverpool Ohio, 1853 or 54 as Knowles. In 1870 John Taylor and Knowles son joined and it became Knowles, Taylor, Knowles. I can't find my book on KTK. Looks like I'll need to get a new one. Not sure about S--V. Might stand for Semi-Vitreous. The SFJ is perhaps the decorators initials. Like many other pottery factories KTK furnished blanks for serious and amateur china painters. When the initials are present it usually means that it was fired at the factory. Retail no chips cracks etc.....$100

I'll stand corrected and apoligize if I'm not correct about the lettering.

K.T.& K. Pitcher
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 09:29:11 pm »
and checking out KTK pieces on www.kaleden.com the mark as you've described it is on several pieces - dated to approximately the mid 1920's.  I think Tim has the value just right too.    KB

iahorne

• View Profile
K.T.& K. Pitcher
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2005, 12:43:03 am »
Thanks for all your help everybody!