Author Topic: The Magical Mystery Pig!!!!  (Read 2775 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
The Magical Mystery Pig!!!!
« on: September 29, 2023, 07:27:49 pm »
So I bought a pig. OK, a boar. From what I have been able to find out so far, this appears to be a Javanese figural boar oil lamp. I think it was originally cast in bronze, then covered over in silver to stabilize it. This guy is huge. The size of a football! I have found two smaller versions from the 11th and maybe 15th century. I have no idea how old mine is. Here is where things get weird. There is this legend in Java about people who shapeshift into the form of a boar in order to steal from other villagers. When I tried to get information on this piece on an Indonesian antiques group, I was blocked and then banned with no explanation. Ok my pig may have bad juju origins, but I like him and no Javanese demon stuff has gone down at my house since I brought him home
 So, I turn to you guys for help. What did I buy?!!! The silver one is mine, the others are similar bronze examples.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 07:31:04 pm by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: The Magical Mystery Pig!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2023, 12:54:33 am »
Wow!  You got banned/blocked?  That's crazy!!!!

Looking.......
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2023, 01:17:31 pm »
I know, right? I have never even been to Facebook Jail! I really don't know where to turn for answers on this guy. I may have to hope for Roadshow tickets or something!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 12:34:56 am »
I read in the Christies` listing that it was possibly a rhino that equals bad karma.  Could it be a rhinoceros?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2023, 08:45:02 pm »
I dont think it is a rhino, but there is so little info, it is really hard to say for sure. I guess I will have to hope for roadshow tickets! 😆