Author Topic: Cleaning antique hairbrush backed with cardboard?  (Read 2658 times)

brainsandbeauty

• View Profile
Cleaning antique hairbrush backed with cardboard?
« on: July 21, 2018, 02:58:11 am »
After my  passed away two years ago I was given her vanity set, but I have only just been able to bring myself to use the hairbrush from it as it still had her hair in the bristles.
Problem is it smells and is covered in oils from her hair. I've tried researching how to clean it online, but I've run into a few roadblocks.

1) I can't tell what the bristles are made of, as we aren't sure when the brush was made or who it was made by.

2) After removing the bristle plate from the handle and backing, it appears the metal (I'm not sure whether it's silver or not) is mounted on cardboard, which means submerging it is a big no-no.

Does anyone have experience with taking care of these kinds of brushes? I don't have room to keep it for decoration and want to keep it in the family.

SophieMarie

• View Profile
Re: Cleaning antique hairbrush backed with cardboard?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 11:52:15 am »
Perhaps, you could follow the wooden brush method (without soaking the bristles) in the video.  I know others will have more to say :) 

https://cleanmyspace.com/how-to-clean-your-hairbrush/

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 12:15:52 pm »
I agree DO NOT SOAK! 

I have always been taught to use this method for many antique/collectible items.  You can "dry" clean your brush or "wet" clean your brush - with baking soda!

I would recommend the dry method first.  If you need more...either repeat or use the wet method.

Dry Clean:  Simply cover your brush with baking soda and let it sit - giving a chance for the oils to soak into the soda and then "GENTLY" work on brushing the soda off/out of bristles.  This can also be sprinkled on the cardboard if the smell is in the cardboard.

Wet Clean Method to use is difficult to describe so this site, sewhistorically.com, addresses the method with pictures!  I understand that your piece isn't made of silver, ebony, etc...but your cardboard makes the piece delicate.  So you will soak ONLY the bristles in cold water with soda.  When you rinse - you will rinse the same way as you soaked!
http://www.sewhistorically.com/victorian-and-edwardian-hair-care-how-to-clean-your-hair-brush/

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 07:58:46 pm »
Try holding it sideways and spraying the bristles with Scrubbing Bubbles,, Same as you use in the bathroom or the foam carpet cleaner !!  You can work it into the bristles with your fingers !!  Let sit about 10 minutes then an old toothbrush to scrub the bristles,, a damp terry towel to remove the goop after that !!  let dry overnight !!  It has cleaning properties without the water and should help the odor !!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 08:03:17 pm by mart »

SophieMarie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 11:21:59 pm »
This may provide some additional insight on your vanity set:

https://www.daynartvintage.com/listing/582536194/vintage-vanity-set-vintage-brush-set-50s

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 01:21:15 am »
Nice find SophieMarie!!!  Karma to you!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 03:06:20 pm »
SophieMarie's going to be the karma queen if she keeps this up! ;)
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

FlorenceWestfall

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2024, 01:15:41 am »
You are faced with the challenge of not knowing the brush's material and fearing potential damage from soaking it in water.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2024, 01:28:09 am by KC »