Author Topic: What is this (ugly) thing?  (Read 4499 times)

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: What is this (ugly) thing?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 12:58:54 pm »
Awesome KC thanks        Bergdorfs & Saks  I new I liked this stuff!!! Will defiantly be hunting these this spring!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 01:00:31 pm by wendy177 »

waywardangler

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 01:12:12 pm »
I have looked at the link KC provided and it appears that Davart specialized in lamps. My question to antiquedummy...is this a marriage piece?  The base looks like it belongs to a lamp.  Is that brass flowery stem piece screwed on to the base through a hole in the base and can it be removed?  Lets see some pics of the base from the bottom and from the side.  The two parts may not belong to one another but may have been married by the whim of the previous owner after the lamp crashed to the floor.  Just a thought.  Any other thoughts along these lines?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 01:51:34 pm »
I would suggest that you take a pic as Wayward suggested to see if it was a previous base for a lamp.

ALSO, contact the nephew and see if he has ever seen anything like it!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 03:14:39 pm »
Glad to see all the research on Dav art , wendy177 &KC .

I used to buy up bunches of this stuff for a collector in the 1980's .

It's sometimes very sim to Frankart/Nuart stuff .

waywardangler

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 04:21:07 pm »
I do believe the bases on the two items in the pic are the same.  The base in the "unknown" item looks to be the same as the base on a lamp that recently ended on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220565315387).  I believe the piece that antiquedummy has is a married piece.  Without KC's wonderful link this info would not have happened.  I do not know how he found that link but it was great!

The base on the left is from antiquedummy's pic (I cropped it) and the base on the right is a cropped pic from the eBay auction lamp.

waywardangler

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 04:34:07 pm »
This pic should be larger and clearer...

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 08:03:27 pm »
However, this is marked Davart as well......

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 08:21:41 pm »
Yes, I have seen that pic on the web.  I would love to see that one in person to see if it started out life as a lamp.  It is a very odd design for a bowl stand.  I could see a small light bulb fitting in the center of that bowl with the cord going through the brass tube to the bottom of the bowl with it being an ambiance light in a parlor or boudoir.  It may be as it appears but it just looks unbalanced and top heavy especially if a large hand was reaching in there for a fistful of M&Ms.

waywardangler

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 08:29:20 pm »
The cherub and bowl in KC's pic is 45cm high or about 18" and the bowl is 19cm or about 7 1/2" in dia.

This is a davart cherub oil lamp...http://en.allexperts.com/q/Collectibles-General-Antiques-682/2010/3/Oil-Table-Lamp.htm

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 08:57:57 pm »
Frankart,Nuart,Davart all used multi-mediums in many of their items .... still have not seen the match for the first one in the thread yet .

Now I'm still curious about what sat on top o' the berry branch .

IMO , some of the items these companies produced were kinda nutty - evidenced by the lamp image below .