Author Topic: Huge Bohemian Ruby Cut to Clear Bottle Stop 11 1/2 Inches Tall  (Read 1618 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Huge Bohemian Ruby Cut to Clear Bottle Stop 11 1/2 Inches Tall
« on: December 27, 2011, 01:50:05 pm »
I recently picked up this Bohemian ruby cut to clear bottle stop at the thrift store. I think the bottle stop would be called Bohemian? It's a really nice bottle stop and I've never seen another one as large as this one. There was no bottle with the bottle stop.

The bottle stop is about 11 1/2 inches tall and about 3 1/2 inches wide at it's widest point at the top. The opening at the top of the bottle stop looks like it could be used to drink from and the bottle stop is hollow almost to the bottom of it (about 9 inches deep) like a tall wine glass.

I was wondering what size bottle the bottle stop what originally used on. Also, if it was going to be sold on ebay what would be a reasonable starting price for it?

Anyone have any ideas about the origin, time period, value or any other information of this bottle stop?

Thanks,
Kevin

" width="748" height="1468" border="0

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Huge Bohemian Ruby Cut to Clear Bottle Stop 11 1/2 Inches Tall
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 02:08:12 pm »
My first thought is that it is a flute from an epergne.
Someone here will know for sure.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 03:56:32 pm »
    I would have to agree with Rauville on this one, at least pretty sure it is not a Bottle stop, may also be a kind of Candle holder, or maybe the bottom will fit into a Candle size holder.  All in all never seen anything like this for sure.  As for being considered as Bohemian Glass, that is what most place this kind of Cut Ruby overlayed style of Glass or Crystal, most likely the latter "Crystal".  However if you are going to sell it on ebay, anyone looking for this style of glass will be looking at Bohemian.  As for a starting price, I personnally would start at $24.99, and if it don't sell drop the price to as low as $9.99, and would not sell for under that.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 05:03:37 pm »
I agree with all above. I believe it is part of an epergne also. I have seen them before. As for as the age they have been made for one hundred years and are still made the same way today in Eastern Europe. Very hard to date unless you are an expert in European glass which I am not.

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 05:12:25 pm »
Thanks for your answers Rauville, ironlord1963 and frogpatch! I believe you are absolutely correct about it being an Epergne. I found one on ebay that is about the same color, height, width and even without a base like mine. That one sold for $53.10 so ironlord1963 I think your starting price is a good one, thanks.

Check out the link below to see the one that sold on ebay without a stand like the one I have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Bohemian-Ruby-Red-Cut-Clear-Art-Glass-Epergne-/290609711572?_trksid=m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D11%26pmod%3D180712529695%26ps%3D50