Author Topic: loving cups  (Read 920 times)

bek

• View Profile
loving cups
« on: May 09, 2007, 01:11:12 am »
Can anyone tell me anything about a pair of footed loving cups that i have? they are metal, bronze in color, (brass?) but relatively light, (500g) they are 17cm high, with a wide base that tapers in then back out again, they have two handles, that are almost the length of the cups, thay are scrolled, ornate foliage. around the rim is embossed foliage, with what looks like acorns & roses. there is also a rim of this lower on the cups. in the centre of each cup are two pictures, 1st one is a man wearing a hat and baggy knee length pants, holding what looks like a bunch of grapes up in each hand, he is standing beside a older style wooden wheelbarrow, in the background there is a woman, with a head scarf, holding a bucket/basket of grapes and in the foreground a girl, with her back to us, also holding a basket of grapes. the other picture is of a man and woman, the man is sitting on a log under a tree, holding a cup in one hand & a bottle (by the handle) in the other, at his feet is a sickle/scythe, as well as other items, the woman is carrying an armload of hay/cane, she is wearing a long dress with her sleeves rolled up, her hair is down & she is looking at the man. Both pictures are inside a oval shaped border of raised dotts. They look to me like early settlers? The entire cup is textured in someway. They appear old, but i honestly wouldn't have a clue. any help would be much appreciated!!