Author Topic: Interesting wooden table, please help me identify the wood!  (Read 1286 times)

balkandom

• View Profile
Interesting wooden table, please help me identify the wood!
« on: September 15, 2007, 09:32:56 pm »
I just bought this table...it's old, though I have no idea how old. The bottom is a sort of Mission style as you can see, English Walnut from what I can tell. The amazing thing is the top, it's 52 inches in diameter and one solid piece. Could someone help me identify the wood it's made of?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you!!

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
Re: Interesting wooden table, please help me identify the wood!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 07:24:32 am »
I know nothing about it.. but I am confident from the top and bottom photos you are likely correct about the "solid piece" theory... and all I have to say about that is "WOW"! I don't know if I have ever seen anything like that. what piece of wood would they have gotten that from, and how was it cut out not to cross the center of the tree (making it likely to crack),, !?!?

Id almost recommend you email it to someone like the the PBS show "new Yankee workshop" and see if he has a comment about it.

regards ,Ed
Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events

Rose tea cup

• View Profile
Re: Interesting wooden table, please help me identify the wood!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 05:13:03 pm »
My husband sat forever looking at it, and said he has seen a few Maple trees reach the size of 52 inches, but rarely,and altho the bottom looks like oak, the top resembles Maple.