Author Topic: 2 Items I need help with  (Read 924 times)

Young_Dandy

• View Profile
2 Items I need help with
« on: November 21, 2007, 05:33:33 am »
I purchased an antique vanity set from a St Vincents shop today for a mere $20. Unfortunatly the shop workers didn't know anything about this item, so I was thinking maybe someone here could give me some informtaion about it? Mostly I'm just after the approximate date of when these would have been made, and the approximate value of something like this.

The set includes a brush, mirror, smaller oblong shaped brush, and a comb. All are in fairly good condition except for the backing of the mirror which has some evident water marks. The glass of the mirror is perfectly clear.
The handles on the brush and mirror are very intriquite and form a cage at the bottom and top of the handle.
The backing on all items are embroided flowers, each design a little defferent from the other.
It came in the original box, which is lined in white fabric. the outside is covered in white pattern with gold patterns.
I was thinking perhaps it dates from Edwardian era. Or really anything between 1900-1925. Although I would not be surprised if it were earlier.
Sorry about the pictures, had to use a webcam.

The top left is the set in its box, showing the backs with the embroided flowers.
Top right is the set in it's box, showing the bottomside - mirror glass and bristles.
Bottom left is the detail of part of the handle of the brush
bottom right is the embroided flower of the brush.

So anyone got any comments/info about it?

Second Item is a small wooden rocking horse about 11 inches tall. I was given it as a gift about 7 years ago, when I was about 10, from an old lady who knew that I loved horses. She had also been given it when she was a child, but Im not sure where from or whether it belonged to someone before her.
The saddlery is made from what I think is beaten copper.

Any informtaion on either or both is greatly appreciated!