Author Topic: Old Violin  (Read 1568 times)

Rogue1230

• View Profile
Old Violin
« on: January 23, 2008, 08:56:56 pm »
Hi, we found this violin in my grandfathers condominium storage room a few years ago. I should note that this was a storage room with a door that had vents and was exposed to elements. The case is in really rough (and disgusting) shape. The front of the violin is very dull for the most part but the back of it looks like it was made yesterday. Very strange. My dad says that my grandfather used this when he was young, so that would be around 1925 or so. They didn't have a lot of money do I doubt this is worth anything, but I would like to know about it.

And if it is worth 1 million dollars, all the better! lol

Anyway, on to the pictures. If any more pictures are needed, just ask:

Tim

• View Profile
Re: Old Violin
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 10:22:29 pm »
Information as to maker is sometimes on the inside of the violin. Perhaps seen with proper lighting. You need to take it to a music store or someone with knowledge of older instruments. It's most likely not a Strad but because of it's age it could have some value.

Rogue1230

• View Profile
Re: Old Violin
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 11:07:37 pm »
I have checked and there is no information inside, just a lot of dust.

The onyl words I could find anywhere was on the tail (I think that is what it is called, the bottom part that the string connect to) says Made in Germany. Also, the fine tuner on the tail says "Pioneer Pat Dec. 7 20. I am guessing that means 1920.