Author Topic: Atlantic Copper Boiler  (Read 4190 times)

agreeneyes

Atlantic Copper Boiler
« on: May 26, 2008, 08:45:55 am »
I have this Atlantic Copper Boiler/Water Saver.  This has been in the family for years, could date back to late 1800's. I've seen these referred to as boilers, but my husband remembers his mom referring to it as a water saver, that's what her mom called it. Does anybody know anything about this item, its age, value and possibly what the name Atlantic stands for. Is it the name of  a company or where it came from or what? I did try to do some research and discovered that there was an Atlantic Copper Mine years ago, but that was all I could find on it.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 08:50:02 am by agreeneyes »

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Atlantic Copper Boiler
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 09:53:14 am »
Agreeneyes, the common name is "boiler" and one only includes "copper" if it is made of copper. The majority were made of tin which makes your more "collectible" ... and it won't rust.

I''m pretty sure those were made specifically for "heating water" on the old cast iron cooking stoves. And that is why they are shaped the way they are, .... to fit/sit nicely on top of the stove ...... over two (2) of the round "stove lids". Such stoves were 2-lid, 4-lid and 6-lid depending on its size.

I thought I recognized the name "Atlantic" .... but I will not say they are "connected", ... but click on this url

http://www.oneofakindantiques.com/catalog/3477_portland_stove_foundry_company_antique_queen_atlantic_model_cook_stove_1.htm

and you will see an old 6-lid cook stove of the same name.

And you can "picture" your boiler siting on the right side of the stove top ...... a keeping water hot for coffee, washing dishes, whatever.

cheers

agreeneyes

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 10:21:12 am »
Thank you I clicked on the link and I can see it sitting on top, what a beautiful stove.  Even the name Atlantic on the stove and on my boiler look the same so there could be a connection.  What is the value on a boiler this age?

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 10:58:12 am »
Oh mercy, I wouldn't know what the "current market value" is, its been too long since I "wheeled n' dealed".

People now use them as "decorator items", ...., store magazines in, etc., etc.

I'll bow to the opinion of "D&B Antiques" if he/she states a value for it.

Sorry bout that.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 03:38:10 pm »
copper & tin boilers were selling in sears & roebuck catalog in 1902. for two dollars & fifty cent's. $75.00  dollars.

agreeneyes

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 04:02:29 pm »
Thank you, does the name Atlantic have anything to with the stove?  If not do you know what it stands for