Author Topic: Has anyone seen a chest of drawers like this before?  (Read 1504 times)

mcwatson

• View Profile
Has anyone seen a chest of drawers like this before?
« on: June 30, 2008, 09:40:54 am »
I found this chest of drawers with wooden wheels interesting at an estate sale.  Has some unique drawer pulls, but is missing two that I need to find as well as the beaded molding missing in the oval on the front.  Anyone know when/where this was made and where I could find the pulls.  I can't seem to find the info by myself

thank you

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 12:21:14 pm by mcwatson »

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Has anyone seen a chest of drawers like this before?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 02:52:02 am »
Finding an exact match for your drawer pulls might be a problem, so most times it is easier to replace all of them with a matched set.

Do a Google on ...... antique drawer pulls .......

Tim

• View Profile
Re: Has anyone seen a chest of drawers like this before?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 11:17:25 pm »
I'd guess circa 1940's. Restoring is a problem and perhaps not worth the expense. I would place the 'newer' pulls on the bottom drawer. (Less Used).

As far as the molding, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. sell molding which may or may not match, or perhaps come close. Replace with that which come close.

Rub down with mineral spirits. Rags and elbow grease. Lots of elbow grease. Apply a stain that is complimentary to the piece or to your liking. Minwax sells a variety of stain/finishes.

You should be able to do all this yourself for less than $50. You'll end up with a decent dresser.