Author Topic: Can someone help with a desk?  (Read 2044 times)

railman44

• View Profile
Can someone help with a desk?
« on: August 11, 2008, 09:40:23 pm »
This desk had been in a small town library for eons.  An old friend of mine in the antique business looked at it years ago and thought it was "cobbled" together.  He thought the legs were from a piano.  That made sense to me at the time.  The entire desk represents early victorian with the exception of the top back guard which looks to me late victorian.  The writing portion of the desk is slanted.  Not too long ago I saw the exact same desk on eBay (legs and all) with the exception it had a tall pigeon-hole arrangement sitting on the rear top flat portion.  It was advertised as coming out of a railroad depot.  But, it had the same legs.  Anyone have any ideas?  D&B Antiques, what do you think?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 09:42:41 pm by railman44 »

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Can someone help with a desk?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 11:01:16 am »
No it's not ''cobbled'' together.it's called a table desk. it's worth about $700.00 dollars

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 11:50:49 am »
Thanks for the info D&B.  One of my serious hobbies is woodworking and I really enjoy making dovetail, finger and mortise & tenon joints.  It's funny because a person couldn't even buy the hardwood, casters, locks and leather for the top today to make a similiar table-desk for $700 let alone the cost of an artisan making it.  ;D

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 01:28:27 pm »
your right' insurance value. ( replacement) $1,200.00 dollars