Author Topic: Antique Guns.  (Read 2203 times)

Pjj1020

• View Profile
Antique Guns.
« on: August 11, 2008, 09:55:42 pm »
What is a good, cheap, gun to start my antique collection, and where should I buy it?
From ww2 and before!

Thanks!

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Antique Guns.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 10:25:35 pm »
What is your definition of "cheap"?  I dabble in German lugers (P-08)but you'd best do your homework before you even venture there.  If "cheap" is somewhere around $800 to a grand I would suggest a German WWII P-38 (Walther or Mauser) pistol.  You need to do your homework there too.  You certainly don't want to pay that kind of money for a Russian rebuild.  Not much in the hobby of older gun collecting is "cheap".  Those days are long past.  If by guns you mean rifles (military), those are usually a little cheaper than military handguns.  If you mean preWWII Winchesters, you probably need to win the lottery first or you'll just be looking at junkers.  You need to define just what your interests are and your definition of "cheap".

Pjj1020

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 10:52:44 pm »
Cheap military weapons.  I don't know what is cheap considered?

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 03:49:50 am »
Military rifles are less expensive than sidearms in most cases.  As with any collecting, you need to go slowly at first and learn what's the deal and what's not.  Also, as with any collecting, condition is all important to most collectors for purposes of future monetary appreciation and the desire for the most beauty.  I suggest <gunbroker.com>.  You can research Enfields, Springfields, Mausers, etc. and get some idea of what the going prices are by seeing what is selling and what is not.  EBay is no help because they do not allow firearms.  Buyer beware because unscrupulous people abound as with any valuable collectable. 

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 04:51:32 am »
Pjj, ...... if you are just starting, .......... then start here:

http://www.gunshows-usa.com/

Find a gun show in your area ....... and go look around.