Author Topic: Bronze Ram CMR initials (Charles Marion Russell) Big Horn Sheep  (Read 2378 times)

agreeneyes

My husband purchased this in the 1970's from an antique dealer who traveled the Midwest.  He was told by the dealer that this was purchased in an estate sale and the people who had it said it had been in their family for many years.  I'm not sure on the age but I haven't seen any of the big horn sheep bronzes that have this kind of base.  I'm getting mixed appraisals one dealer estimated it at about $5,000.00 several years ago because he said the base appears to have been hand carved.  Another dealer has said it's worth about $1,500.00 - $2,500.00.  When you remove the ram from the base there are initials of TK or TR on the inside of the ram . It's approximately 9 inches tall and the marble base is 5 in x 7in and it weighs approximately 10 pounds and has the initials CMR carved on the rock.
I would appreciate any information and what you think the value is.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Bronze Ram CMR initials (Charles Marion Russell) Big Horn Sheep
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 06:21:29 am »
if it was being sold at a charles russell auction. it would sell at $5,000.00+

agreeneyes

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 09:12:53 am »
Thank you for your time.  I don't see a foundry mark and that seems to be what appraisers determine their estimate on, would you be able to tell me why you think it has this value? I'm glad to see you agree with the first estimate.  The bronzing does appear to be translucent in places and I was told that is a good thing, and the marble base does appear to be real heavy marble and I assume that's a good thing. Plus it has a coppery tint to it in the sun light and on certain worn places there is blueish-greenish colors and I was also told that was a good thing. Also do you happen know what the initals represent.  How would I go about selling this in a Charles Russell auction?

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 01:50:20 pm »
it would appear from info given it is a reproduction.

agreeneyes

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 08:01:23 pm »
I'm confused do reproductions have the CMR initials and the steer head. So the value isn't there that you previously thought?  Was this cast from an original or a copy of the original?  It looks like the initals were carved into the rock, I didn't think they would be so clear in a reproduction.  Thank you for your help

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 01:55:59 am »
It's a good bet any bronze sculpture from any famous artist is a recast.  Some recasts are very high quality.  If your husband paid a lot of money for it from a reputable dealer, maybe an apprasial from an authority might be in order.  An original Russell (even back in the '70's) would be worth many thousands of dollars.  Some recasts bring respectful sums of money but nothing compared to what the original would bring.  If your Big Horn Ram is a recast, which I suspect it is, it could bring $1,500 on a good auction day.  That's just my guess.

agreeneyes

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 07:20:04 am »
I appreciate your information, Thank you for your time and estimate. I seem to be getting different appraisals. I wish I could find out what the initials on the inside represent, I'll probably have to take it to someone so they can visually see it, I know it's probably hard to value something from a picture.