Author Topic: Need some info on this antique washstand  (Read 2260 times)

david64

Need some info on this antique washstand
« on: October 12, 2008, 12:29:17 pm »
Here are some photos of an old 1800's washstand that I have aquired and I am hoping that someone might be able to answer some questions that I have about it or direct me to another forums board that might be able to help me out.

The photos are the washstand and the mirror that goes with it. As you can see there appears to have been a backsplash attached to the marble top but I don't know exactly what kind. Also, the drawer pulls don't appear to be the original ones....does anyone have any idea what kind of drawer pulls it might have had?

Any info would be appreciated and if any one has photos of one like it that would be great.

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Need some info on this antique washstand
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 01:26:53 pm »
The mirror is late victorian.  The handles could very easily be the originals.  I've never seen a washstand with a mirror.  Every marble washstand I've seen had a marble backwash.  The washstand appears to be late victorian also.  I have my doubts if the mirror actually goes with the stand. 

david64

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 02:11:02 pm »
Thank you for your reply.

The drawer pulls aren't the originals because there are holes from where the originals were attached. I've have wondered if the mirror went with the washstand too.  If you look at the "circular rosettes" around the mirror you'll see they match the ones on the chamber pot door. Perhaps the mirror went with a matching dresser....I just don't know.

Do you know of any good reference books that might have some photos that might be helpful?

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 10:26:36 pm »
As stated, your washstand would have had a matching marble back splash, probably 3-4" high. The mirror shown is in the Eastlake style and probably came from a dresser. The washstand dates from about 1900. The pulls a little later, 1920 perhaps. The mirror from about 1880-90.

david64

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 11:52:44 am »
Thank you for your help on info on the antique washstand. As I stated earlier I too have had my doubts about the mirror being part of the washstand since they are stained in different colors.

Have you ever seen that carving on the mirror on any other furniture?

Also could you suggest a good book on Eastlake style furniture?

My washstand came from the Milan Tennessee area and it does have the markings....A.M. Hamm(ersey?) Milan....stamped on it.  The last name is hard to read but I definately see Hamm.

Thanks again

David

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 08:08:25 pm »
American Heritage Guide to Antiques by Mary Durant is one of many that I have as there are numerous books pertaining to antique furniture. Eastlake should be mentioned in all of them.

There were many makers of such furniture as your washstand. Makers in places like Grand Rapids turned out tons of it at the turn of the century and shipped it all over the country. The stamp on the bottom side could be a maker but it could also be a distributor.

Tim