Author Topic: Anybody knowledgeable regarding paperweights?  (Read 2114 times)

railman44

• View Profile
Anybody knowledgeable regarding paperweights?
« on: October 19, 2008, 05:29:20 pm »
The one I'm curious about is the larger one.  I placed the normal sized paperweight in the picture so as to give an idea of the size.  It was bought in an antique store years ago.  The glass has remained crystal clear.  I have never found any date canes nor is the bottom marked in any way.  Does it have any resemblance to any company you're familiar with?  Any help or ideas appreciated.

PaperweightArts

• View Profile
Re: Anybody knowledgeable regarding paperweights?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 08:02:37 am »
Both of the paperweights are Murano, from the glassmaking island in Venice, Italy.

The one you are extra curious about - the large one - is a very fine example of a larger Murano with millefiori canes, ribbons, and latticino. It's a high-domed scramble or end-of-day paperweight. If, as it seems, there are no scratches or gouges or bulls-eye bruises, you've got a piece worth about $25 to $50 depending on who's doing the buying and where you attempt to sell it. If you list it on eBay at $24.99 (to avoid going into the next fee level), you should do nicely with it. although the bidding might not be lively at that price. Of course, if you list it at $9.99 (to avoid going to the next fee level), there could be a bidding war that might go past $25 and maybe hit $50 or higher.

Both of your paperweights are made by the Fratelli Toso fornace (furnace) on Murano. The millefiori in both weights are very typical of Fratelli Toso's work, which are, more often than not, large, almost chalky-looking canes, with bright vibrant colors, concentrating especially in vivid blues, pinks, and greens. While applying an exact year to manufacture is difficult, these weights were both made in the 1970s, when numerous Murano paperweights werre exported to the U.S. and the U.K.

90% of the time, Murano paperweights will have a clear, smooth, finished bottom. You have to be vary wary of cheesy Chinese fakes that some dealers call Murano. However, you have no worry here. These are both very nice examples of Murano and there is a market for them. Start the auction at a fair price and watch the bidding.

findit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 12:19:12 pm »
Nice description PaperweightArts.. thanks.
E

PaperweightArts

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 11:34:50 am »
My pleasure. Happy to help out and glad to be of assistance.

Carlotta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 05:21:08 pm »
wish I could see the image... it won't open for me.
I have a Murano blown glass ball paperweight...not encased in glass as some I have seen.
I bought it from the factory in Venice about 34 years ago...I love this piece it is so beautiful..like Christmas candy...Carlotta