Author Topic: What Is This Tool?  (Read 1483 times)

ebill

• View Profile
What Is This Tool?
« on: November 03, 2008, 07:32:35 pm »
The pictured item was with my father's memorabilia. In the early 1920's he was a shipboard U.S. Marine and in the 1930's he was a motorcycle highway patrolman in Pennsylvania.

It appears to be chrome plated brass and the inlays are mother-of-pearl.

Letter opener has been suggested, but the hook is dull and just wads the paper when pulled through. The curved blade has an edge, but not sharp enough to cut paper without force.

A smoking pipe tool has been suggested, and he did smoke a pipe. But having also been a pipe smoker, I'm quite sure it is not usable to clean or ream a pipe.

Not really a button hook, but I lean towards some sort of lacing tool. Marine leggings? Motorcycle boots or leggings?

railman44

• View Profile
Re: What Is This Tool?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 07:42:44 pm »
I'm probably all wet but it kind of looks like a gutting tool.  Was he a fisherman or small game hunter?  I'll admit on the off chance I'm right, it's a very fancy one. 

ebill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 08:23:27 pm »
Thanks, railman.  He did fish and I often accompanied him as a youngster, but I just do not recall ever seeing that device.  Could be, but I'm not sure how it would be used. The half round blade is a poser.  It has an edge which could damage lacing if used for that, but it is not sharp enough to cut flesh if you rub a finger over it with moderate pressure.  Also, there is no evidence of it ever being honed.

Bill

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 10:50:05 pm »
The half dish part looks like it could be honed and carry an edge.  I've seen gutting knives that had that top hook type device.  It could have been a gift and was just too nice/pretty to actually use and sharpen.  Age and non-use will dull a tool.  Again, it's only a guess on my part.