Author Topic: What is This Railroad Spike Worth?  (Read 2179 times)

penwright

• View Profile
What is This Railroad Spike Worth?
« on: November 02, 2008, 04:52:47 pm »
We have a railroad spike that was given to participants for the movie Union Pacific in 1939. There is writing on all four sides. The first is 70th. Anniversary Completion First Transcontinental Railroad. Second side is A Paramount Picture. Third side is Cecil B. Demille's "Union Pacific" Fourth side is Starring Barbara Stanwyck-Joel McCrea. I don't know what it is made from.

I have not been able to find any information as to what it might be worth, although, my husband was told that it has been sold for over $600 in the UK.

I would appreciate finding out what it's true value is. Thanks.
What you do today will determine your tomorrows.

railman44

• View Profile
Re: What is This Railroad Spike Worth?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 07:02:11 pm »
Very interesting piece of movie memorabilia.  As far as what it's worth?  My answer would be whatever the public will bear.   You might check with Paramount and find out if they have a historical department.  They may be able to tell you how many were made and who those were given to.  You might google and see if there are any historical museums in Hollywood.  They may be able to give you some history on your artifact. 

penwright

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 01:39:22 am »
Thank you for your help. I didn't think to check with either Paramount or for a Hollywood Museum. I have, however, googled it and this was the only information I could find.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 03:16:06 am »
If you do find an email address for Paramount and/or a Hollywood museum, make sure you include your pictures in that email.

penwright

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 09:26:28 pm »
I couldn't find any phone nos. As a matter of fact, they are fighting to keep opened at the museum. So I'm going another route to try to find out what it's worth.

coachgary

• View Profile
    • Coach Gary's Resource Center for Personal Propert Appraisers & Antique Dealers
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 09:10:07 pm »
You have a good peice to research. I feel the Movie memorabilia sites will have the answer you are looking for. One please to start is
http://collectibles.about.com/od/entertainmentmusic/tp/Collecting-Movie-Memorabilia.htm

I am going to do more research myself. And will add the links to my site.
Gary Daw
AKA CoachGary
www.coachgary.com
Resource Center for Personal Property Appraisers & Antique Dealers