Author Topic: old Mandolin - value  (Read 1654 times)

Carlotta

• View Profile
old Mandolin - value
« on: December 08, 2008, 04:34:40 pm »
Wondering what this old Mandolin might be worth, it does have a thin crack in the front and a small hole in the back..Sounds good..even with old strings..
thanks, Carlotta

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: old Mandolin - value
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 08:19:11 am »
I'am not in to string instrument's. but that's a good name. it should be worth some dollars.

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 02:48:49 am »
This is a very nice mandolin. Probably circa 1900. the back of it is gorgeous. Its worth a few hundred dollars at the least, but perhaps quite a bit more. I'm no expert, but I know something good when I see it.

Carlotta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 12:52:05 pm »
HI Skinny,...well I checked it out on an antique musical instrument web site...Not worth more than $100.00 and they said the repair could cost as much.  So now I know more about it, and I too think it is a beautiful piece of woodworking.  Learned something about the strings as well.  Needs lighter strings (old), the newer ones are too hard and may have caused the crack..I do remember a friend doing something with the strings about 20 years ago, he may have put new strings on it.. for it it looks good and sounds good for fooling around with the sounds.. cheers, Carlotta 8)