Author Topic: Antique Well Pump - Age and Parts Location  (Read 1702 times)

Dyslixec-Dan

• View Profile
Antique Well Pump - Age and Parts Location
« on: January 08, 2009, 12:57:59 pm »
Hello there gang.  This is my 1st post.  You have a wonderfull forum here.  I have a few questions concerning an antique well pump but first I'll share with the forum what I know about this pump.

My family (4 generations ago) came to Canada from Belgium in the very late 1800's.  They purchased, from the governement, a $99.00 - 100 year contract for a parcel of land in the now Sprucewoods Provincial Park in the southwest corner of Manitoba, Canada.  This became the farm and homestead of my forefathers.  Long ago I took quite an interest in my family history and decided I wanted to go back and poke around the homestead (I had not been since I was very young).  I had some very vague memories of a few forgotten family treasures that had been left at the homestead only for time to erase.  Many of us understand that windmills played a very large role in those days.  Windpower was one of the few luxuries of life back then and as a result windmills and windmill powered well pumps were a common sight.  On my journey back to the homestead I located my great grandfather's well pump.  The windmill had long since toppled but the well pump was still perched on it's mount, above the well.  It didn't take me long clear the twisted metal windmill away and to pull the pump up, cut the pipe free and carry it to the box of my truck.  It is now one of several family keepsakes that I have.  I hope to display it in my yard one day.  My only problem is that the pump is not complete.  I hope to illustrate with the pictures below what it is that I require in order to restore this pump.  I know that this pump was made by the McDougall Company in Galt, Ontario.  I know nothing more.  All I can say is that the pump for which I have provided pictures for is the exact same pump that I have (only the one pictured has been beautifully restored).  The images that I will share are not my pictures but have been borrowed from another website.  A website for the Fallow-Deer-Reserve, near Kingston, Ontario, Canada.

My questions are as follow :

1. Does anyone have any further information regarding this make/model of pump such as a production date?
2. Does anyone know where I might find the parts I require in order to restore this pump (highlighted in yellow in the last picture)?

Thank you everyone for your time, your effort and your kindness.  Cheers!
- Daniel D.

Tim

• View Profile
Re: Antique Well Pump - Age and Parts Location
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 08:20:16 am »
You obviously have a difficult, but not impossible task and it may takes years to locate parts. I would call or email antique shops in the Galt area and explain what your looking for. Also place your item on eBay's 'want it now' list as it is seen world wide. There are discussion forums on eBay and Craig's list (which is also world wide) where you can visit with others with similar taste's or might be able to help locate your parts............ 8)