Author Topic: How much does the value go down when item was fixed?  (Read 2506 times)

D.A.

• View Profile
How much does the value go down when item was fixed?
« on: January 26, 2009, 06:12:57 pm »
I have two items that were broken and now are fixed.  An e-969/S Inarco peach colored ladies head planter  from 1963.  Her head apparently broke off and was repaired. I noticed a figure exactly like her was about $58 in good shape.  Are these figures worth anything when they've been repaired?   

I also have a Shawnee Jo-Jo the clown, great shape, but the seal's ball was glued back on. 

My mother-in-law passed away and we have to determine values on this property. We'd like to keep them in the family.

Thanks for any input.

railman44

• View Profile
Re: How much does the value go down when item was fixed?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 09:38:06 am »
The more major the repair the further the value drops.  Professionally repaired or not has a bearing too.  Most times on a glass or pottery object that really isn't rare, the value after a major repair drops the value nearly to nothing.  I'm sure there are exceptions, but this is the rule that I follow.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 01:56:06 pm by railman44 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 12:36:48 pm »
Can you post pics of the repair areas.  If you can see them clearly as repaired....then the value goes down considerably.  If a barely visibly hairline mark is available for the keen observer...the value lowers less.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 07:41:48 am »
Now I just hafta tell you a “story” about broken pottery. I once bought a “box lot” of junk for $3 or $4. In it was a Shawnee “corn pattern” sugar bowl with a broken lid that had been crudely glued back together. I sat it on the shelf in my shop and put $15 on it figuring that no one would buy it but sooner or later I might find a good lid for it and would then re-price it.

But one day this gal walked in, spotted it, snatched it right up and was about to pay me for it, no questions asked. So I says to her, … “you do know the lid was broken in half and re-glued, don’t you”. Her answer was, ……. “That is exactly why I’m buying it, …. it looks just like the one my Mother had that my sister got hold of before I did”.  cheers

antiquedieboldsafes.com

• View Profile
    • Antique Diebold Safes
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 12:37:18 pm »
Her answer was, ……. “That is exactly why I’m buying it, …. it looks just like the one my Mother had that my sister got hold of before I did”. 

You were plain lucky out there.. ;)

As for the topic, I guess with breakables, this is one perennial problem. And definitely an antique that has remained unbroken definitely holds much higher value...

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 04:29:53 pm »
And definitely an antique that has remained unbroken definitely holds much higher value...

One exception to that rule that I knew of, of course that was several years ago, that a chip or two or even a small crack in a piece of Tennerton glass didn't seem to matter much to a collector of said. I have only ever owned 1 piece of it, a toothpick holder, and it still sits on a shelf in the kitchen.