Author Topic: Antique music or book stand  (Read 2357 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Antique music or book stand
« on: February 03, 2009, 02:48:31 pm »
When CA relatives brought us family items this music/book stand was with them.  It has imprinted "Patent Dec 10 05" in the metal.  The top is wood, I believe oak. All original. No manufacturing info on it.  The family has always used it to hold the family Bible as far back as I can remember.  It has so many adjustments available on it.  Taller/shorter.  Tilts (whole top and/or the oak pieces).  Have both oak pieces at different heights, widths, etc.

I once saw a picture of one like this on the front of an architectural digest magazine but it didn't note anything about it...was just in the office scene.  Saw one for sale similar to this 8 years ago for $800.

Any ideas?  Who would have mfgd these?  Current value?

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Antique music or book stand
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 04:33:44 pm »
I have one sitting in my living room as I type.  It's a dictionary stand.  Years ago dictionaries were very thick and heavy.  Some have even called them Bible stands.  Here is an example of one for sale in a high-end shop that is fairly expensive on everything.
http://www.bargainjohn.com/f302cStand.htm

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 05:16:36 pm »
Thanks for the information.  I just found another one for sale $650.00   http://ogtstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1055_1157&products_id=200801825

Do you know who manufactured these?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 08:19:00 pm »
Wow, after you told me it was a dictionary stand I have found 4 variations of them and 2 exactly like my family's .  They are ranging from $339 in bad shape to $800 and one was way out there for $1,000.
I did learn that it was made by L. W. Noyes and he made clocks as well!

Wonder what happened to all the dictionaries? (Ha!)

Thank you again!!!!!!