Author Topic: What to do? As is / Fix it  (Read 1469 times)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
What to do? As is / Fix it
« on: February 24, 2009, 09:24:23 pm »
      O.k. I seek a little advise today.  Stop by the local Thrift store and Wow look at that Candlestick holder, ans Hey! It got the 99 cent sticker of the week on it.  Grab, Run, checkout, and dream of the score I had found, oh this is the one I can retire on (drama).   Get it home wake the neighboors, Prepare the party and Ohhhhh, Its got a crack, oh look another one.  Yea The sucker I was, no wander it was 99 cents.   Now for the Question, OK the value is not worth selling, Professional Repair, Yea like that will happen.  So now it is destined for a shelf, Do I repair it myself?  Any suggestion on how would be great too.  Or just polish it up and shelf it as is?   Just looking for advise on how you guys the pro would do in this situation.  Please don't say to inspect it first.  I know read it so many times, but that is me,overexcited by the .99 cent sticker.         

cogar

• View Profile
Re: What to do? As is / Fix it
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 03:38:51 am »
Ironlord, me thinks you worry too much about those “cracks”. It appears to be quite old to me and my opinion is ….. metal does not “crack” per say from aging, therefore those separations are a result of the forming process when the bowl portion was made. The artist starts with a flat sheet of metal, cuts out a round circle and (maybe) the serrated top edge, then by spinning it and applying pressure it will roll up into a bowl shape. Then the grooves defining the leaf separations are pressed/pounded to form said. My opinion, when that was done (or shortly thereafter due to stress in the metal) was when the “cracks” occurred.

My 2nd opinion, if you want to preserve the original patina and/or unless it is silver, there is no way to repair them that would be an improvement over the cracks. Personally, I do not think those “cracks” depreciates its value any.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 10:49:32 am »
Somewhere in my packed away items i have one of these...without the candle holders.  It is made in the shape of a lotus blossom.  The purpose is to hold flowers and at one time there should have been a "frog" (holder) in the bowl to help hold the flower stems in place.  Mine is silver-plated...and yours appears to be the same.  These were very "in" with the ladies in the 60's to have on their tables as centerpieces during a luncheon or at a family dinner.  They are typically unmarked silver pieces (I think they were made by Leonard typically) but were sold at the fine silver stores along with all of the big name brands - a lower priced item that was affordable to give as a gift for those not rolling in money.

I agree with Cogar that most likely yours has had it the separations at the start - otherwise there would be bend/damage marks. The question is will it hold any water in the very bottom for the flower stems?  Even it it won't, many put soaked florist foam in the bottom to hold artificial flowers.

.99 is a great buy for any silver/silver-plated item.  I would have bought it and done a victory dance!  If you keep it..clean it up and enjoy it!

One just like yours is at    http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=13137527 and search "silver plated flower and candle holder" on ebay - right now there are over 8 for sale
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 10:53:38 am »
Sorry I didn't answer the question about selling it....Yes you can sell it.  How much?  I would value it at $15 - $20.  If you have a store...more!  This will touch the memory of many who saw mom so happy to have this on her table and was probably scolded many times to keep their hands off!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!