Author Topic: Can anyone tell me something about this copper vessel ? Could be an ewer?  (Read 3587 times)

curiousandrew

• View Profile
Thank you for reading this. This is a hammer copper vessel, I think it may be an ewer but I'm not sure. It is lined on the inside with silver or tin. I don't know much about it and I appreciate all of your help. It does have some kind of hallmark or something on the bottom, sorry that picture is out of focus, I'm having a hard time taking a clear picture of that.
It is 9 inches tall from the bottom to the top of the tip of the lid.

Thank you so much Drafe for the tip on taking a better picture, it worked great! I didn't know how to do that.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 10:36:49 pm by curiousandrew »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Can anyone tell me something about this copper vessel ? Could be an ewer?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 09:25:55 pm »
    Nice piece, I not sure without clear hallmark, All I can really add it is a nice piece of copper.  If you can make out anything could you describe it maybe, if you can then I have a couple of links and books.  If you can make it out go to the web site,      http://www.oldcopper.org/   and see if you can get a bit of info on the maker,  Then date and value and etc, can be determined.   Copper can be really old, or just look very old.  This looks old to me like mid to late 19th century maybe.   Value will really depend on that hallmark,  That is a kinda common copper item, so it won't be worth much if the age is not at least early 19th century piece.  So if you can better pic or tell us what you see and we can begin a journey into the past. ;)

Drafe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 09:32:45 pm »
I can tell you that this is not a ewer.  A ewer is an open pitcher, this is a coffee pot.  Try putting your digital camera in macro mode, that's the one that looks like a flower, then reposting the marks?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 09:41:20 pm »
    Wow looking closer at the hinge of the lid, I think you may have a really nice piece,  Look the age and style of a mid to late 1800's,  But again holloware especially brass can easily fool you, or at least me  :D, but I really like the looks,  I would give you $20.00 and maybe sell it for $35.00, on eBay site unseen if it was at a thrift store.  Then I would look into the hallmarks, that would be how I would value it.   

Drafe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 10:03:03 pm »
The marks are essential.  This is distinctly not (Western) Contintenal or English or American in shape.  Could be Russian or Eastern European or Turkish or Middle Eastern...absolutel y has nice age and appeal however.  Try and get a better shot of the marks, or scan them.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 11:12:32 pm »
     I'll be able to look some tomorrow on that.  I took the photo into photo shop and got some clues to work with.   That mark does kinda look russian, or for some reason I thought greek, that is most likely wrong but that what pop into my head ::).   Anyway this is starting to look like a nice piece,  I will have a bit of fun looking for this one.   

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 01:01:28 am »
    O.k. put a bit more time in before bed.  1st.  This would be considered a Ewer, or at least if you look the work up this is what you get.   Ewer seem to refer to something that carries water, Blah, Blah Aquaduct Blah Blah in the dictionary.    2.  This is in the Middleastern style of water pitcher per say Turkey seems to be the most found.  3.  They are very collectable, many collectors of this kind of item, desite the Size of a large collection.  This is good news if wanting to get rid of it.   Prices has much fluction and would be hard to determine with out the key to the markings.   This is still a stump to me but just a rookie (Newby)  ;D right now.  Looks like ..sty.... to me so far.  If possible what are the letters?   Once again you have a nice item, some damage and look old.  I will look some more latter, but way past my bed, and my real world calls me in the morning.  Have a great day all ya

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 11:11:39 am »
My first impressions was Turkish - middle eastern in shape.  If you search "turkish ewer" in images...you will see that this is the traditional shape...and it does have a lid. (The traditional sense of the word doesn't always have a lid.) This style/type of container usually held tea or wine...with larger containers holding water.  The thing that bugs me...is that the lettering on the bottom doesn't appear turkish.

I know that in the mid 19th C this style became very popular in Britain and was a "must" in a man's smoking room because at that time Turkey was associated with fine tobaccos.  The "turkish" style in furniture/smoking items/ornamental pieces then extended into other parts of a home....becoming very acceptable....with artisans copying the style.

However, on EBay under "RUSSIAN copper & brass HAND FORGED arts & crafts STEIN" look at the markings on the bottom.  Not the same....but...bears some semblance.  This is not a traditional Russian style...

However, copper was abundant in Egypt and bears this shape!  Also, Islamic countries!

By-the-way....love the style...so sad the dings.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 01:46:45 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

curiousandrew

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 06:42:13 pm »
I have a hard time reading the letters on it too. I will try to write how they appear to me. It looks like " LESTYNE " but I'm not really sure about the first letter. Thanks to all that has taken the time to look at this, I appreciate your input. Sincerely, andrew