Author Topic: wood and brass tray  (Read 1555 times)

amiga

• View Profile
wood and brass tray
« on: March 31, 2009, 05:01:29 am »
Hi all
I have a tray and would like some help figuring out wether it is good or rubbish. It is about 18 inches long and 12 inches wide. It has a very lacquered surface. The brass handles are very solid brass. I have seen furniture with this type of inlay wood. I dont know if this is the real deal or not. The base appears to be quite thick and the bottom of the tray looks like lacquered ply. I have no idea so any ideas would be nice. PS have added another post with more pics.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: wood and brass tray
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 11:33:26 pm »
I am sorry I can't tell you much about this from these pictures....but I can tell you that this was a very popular item/style in the 40's and 50's.  I think it still has alot of desirability!

I would not consider it rubbish!  I have seen them sell from $30 up to $145....customer demand.  There are two similar on Ebay right now
(same brass design, same handles but different inlay that are from Italy - "BEAUTIFUL INLAY WOODEN ITALY SERVING TRAY,BRASS HANDLES" Item #250397599470 and Item #370180451987).

What do you think D&b, Railman, Cogar, Ironlord.....
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 07:23:33 am »
the wood appears to be pine.so the tray is likely to be veneered as far as the serveing area. the brass inhance's I agree with KC.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 07:47:26 am »
I think it is a wonderful piece, not sure I can make a guess at value, but for sure not rubbish at all, I would think one coule easly get 100.00 for a item this nice and beautiful, I would pay that just to have it hanging on my shelves.

amiga

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 02:16:30 am »
Thanks all youre champs