Author Topic: Pennsylvania Dutch?  (Read 2680 times)

shelleybeane

• View Profile
Pennsylvania Dutch?
« on: April 06, 2009, 08:10:16 am »
My mother inherited this set. We have talked to as many as would reply back, and still don't know the value.
We have the table,6 chairs, and the matching hutch.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Pennsylvania Dutch?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 08:40:31 am »
Could you please post a picture of the table (full view) and hutch?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

shelleybeane

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 09:11:17 am »
Unfortunately, this set is in a room packed full of antiques mixed with junk. It is almost impossible to get full pictures, but if you could bear with me, I will show you what I have, and if need be, will go to moms and get more pictures. She keeps the table and chairs covered. We have found so many antiques that right now we are completely over whelmed. I just found a copy of Haven, by Andre Roosevelt, that she had wrapped in a pillow case. I was shocked at what I found the comparable value to be. Let me know if there are any particular views needed.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 11:31:06 am »
It's penn dutch. the wood is sugar maple the finish is late 1940's factory produced. the hutch is a fantasy item. designed primarly for folk's like us.

$1,200.00 $1,500.00 Dollars

shelleybeane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 07:49:54 am »
Ok, that sounds decent. Thanks. What do you mean by fantasy item?
And since I got further here than anywhere else, I'm going to try again. Talk about provenance.My father was raised on an Indian reservation. He inherited a pair of moccasins that belonged to an infamous squaw. They are in good shape considering their age. Any advice as to what we should do with them as far as preserving and protecting? And should we insure them? This is a picture of her and her moccasins, taken in 1938.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 08:59:24 am »
Curious, who was the 'infamous squaw'?  I would be mostly concerned with humidity.  Next would be any infestation of insects.  I would think contacting a museum would net lots of proven ways to protect leather.  I wouldn't advise any chemicals unless you have been given the green light from a museum or an idividual who really knows what they're doing.

shelleybeane

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 10:07:26 am »
Thank you for asking. Her name was Tabby Ann. She was disbanded for some form of infidelity. She would come to my grandparents house and sit on the porch. Never came in, and my grandmother would bring her a tin plate of food. I really love the whole story, and am always proud to share it.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 11:06:27 am »
I think railman's advice is very good. I would follow thru with his advice. Hutch's are not normally furniture you would find in there house.

shelleybeane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 11:16:57 am »
I agree about the hutch not being typically found back then, but what about the scales on the side?
Here is a picture of it.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 11:57:44 am »
No scales.

shelleybeane

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 12:02:29 pm »
So they don't go with the set. And the set is not that old. This is so enlightening. You guys are wonderful. Who would have thought I could solve a family mystery while in the bed with pneumonia. Thanks to everyone for all your help.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 12:09:05 pm »
Sorry to hear about the pneumonia. but you have the right ''spirit'' nothing get's you down.