Author Topic: Are old picture frames worth much?  (Read 8937 times)

railman44

• View Profile
Are old picture frames worth much?
« on: April 23, 2009, 11:56:46 am »
As I've stated before, frame shops charge an arm and leg (or your first born) to frame anything.  This frame my folks bought about 40 years ago in an antique shop.  It measures approx. 43"X33" OD.  It's not mint but again, for it's age not bad either.  While the picture is cool, it's just a print on some kind of solid cardboard.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Are old picture frames worth much?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 12:09:38 pm »
$50.00 to $75.00 Dollars. might find it cheaper in a flea market.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 01:15:04 pm »
     It seems to be a frame kinda day around here.   Figured since I added to the other frame post I would put a 2 pennies worth here too.  Not sure there is much value in Antique frames.  First frames are usually personalized for the Art.  So if you purchase a framed Antique art, I would think one would value the art and leave it in it frame.   It would be sad to take out the and discard the art to put your modern stuff in a old frame, but some do I sure.  I see all kinds of old frames for around 20 dollars, in the 30 x 40 size at the thrift shops and garage sales even cheaper.
     Which make me wonder now how can one tell a antique frame from a vintage from a modern?  The method of making frames has been the same for years.  Maybe one can tell by looking at the joining hardware.  I will now be looking for this to try and find out.  My joiner pushes a joint clip into the two pieces and leave a bit of a mark.  I would assume they used hammers and u nails on earlier, rare is the glued ones.  So any ideals on the way to even tell the age of a frame?  Some reason I fell I know alot about nothing here.   ::)   

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 02:34:19 pm »
Railman's is gold leaf Gesso. e-bay prices are a bit higher than mine.frame construction has'nt changed that much over the years.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 04:35:06 am »
I think 'joint clips' are a thing of the past. Glued finger joints or biscuits ...... or long brads are todays "joint connector" of choice for better quality frames. Cheapy frames are usually "stapled" together at the corners. 

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 08:00:25 am »
     I will have to look into this a bit further when I have more time.  I do know that the cheapest way to build a frame is the staple gun to attach the moulding together.  As for jointing clips, they are still used alot today,  even in the pro shop.  This is what I use to build a frame.  I am most intrested in knowing about the frames of the 19th and 18th century and earlier.  Biscuits and glue may be the method of old.  Before the industrial age jointing clips and staples would of been out of the question.  Wood Biscuits and glue makes sense to my head, again I will have to look deeper later after work today.  If so it would make finding Antique frames easier.  The clue will most likely be in the method of the joining of the moulding.  Thanks Cougar, you help shine a little light on the subjuct. 

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 04:36:46 am »
Ironlord, I think “biscuits” are a thing of the new. Their installation requires a “rotary cutter” and that is a relatively new invention. What I meant by ‘thing-of-the-past’ for joint clips was for “production shops”. The clips are ‘labor intensive’ to install and one has to be careful not to damage the frame when doing so. Most pro shops would still use the “clips” because they wouldn’t want to invest in a biscuit cutter or an air/electric brad nailer, the training on how to use them and new assembly jigs.

Like you, if you only assembled one (1) frame per week, per month, etc. it wouldn’t be worthwhile to go “hi-tech” per say. Like me, I use to use clips, dowel pins, tongue n’ groove and/or mortise-tendon joints for all fixin & finishin & constructin …… but when I decided to build a large 3-piece entertainment center I purchased a “biscuit cutter”. Now that little baby takes all he guess work out of putting 2 pieces of wood together and it probably saved me a couple hundred hours of “constructin time” when I built said ‘center’. Of course, after I purchased the ‘cutter’ and became proficient in its use, ….. it was my “jointer” of choice for bout anything I did. Those 3 hour jobs became 10 minute ones. A zip zip, glue glue and done, …. a strong joint and in perfect alignment.

Anyway, I believe most 19th and 18th century frames (the 4 corner joints) were connected using either dowel pins, rib joint (2 grooves w/wood spline) or clips. The really large/wide frames always used dowel pins because that makes a stronger joint. When you can’t see how the frame corner joint is connected then you can assume it is via dowel pins. Some frames used 2 or 3 different types of molding for “effect”, one on top the other, and these were affixed using wee small nails. I probably still have a few “square nails” in a drawer somewhere that are bout 1”, ¾” and ½” long. 

Boy, I got mouthy this morning. I hope my rambling was of some value to you.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 09:12:12 am »
yes this all make sense to me now, those method would make for stronger and better joints.  Thanks for the enlightment