Author Topic: Ladies German Silver Wristlet Calling Card/Coin/Powder holder  (Read 9514 times)

elipsistcu

• View Profile
Re: Ladies German Silver Wristlet Calling Card/Coin/Powder holder
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 09:11:05 am »
Does anyone know somewhere I could get this officially appraised for insurance purposes?  I live in S. Maryland but travel to TX regularly.  Any help would be appreciated!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 09:22:41 am »
 A payed appraisal would cost you more than what it's worth. you might try what's it worth .com for a $ 9.95 Appraisal.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 11:31:53 am »
A payed appraisal would cost you more than what it's worth. you might try what's it worth .com for a $ 9.95 Appraisal. D&b

Totally Agree with D&b so the $9.95 might be worthwhile. 

Just from what we know so far I would give it a ball park value of $125 - $145 if indeed it is a vintage item in the shape it appears (considering that it does have a broken mirror), has coin slots and that it is silver plate.

Did you ever post the silver mark?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 11:38:39 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 12:03:27 pm »
KC she mentions the fact it say's German Silver. which is nickel plated. it could be she mis understood the meaning. sterling would drive the price up.

Honestly I would save my $9.95 that would be added to what I payed for it & hopefully it was'nt a lot.

elipsistcu

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2009, 02:08:35 pm »
DB: As far as I can tell i misunderstood nothing.  It says Ger. Silver and I had no idea what that meant.  And no, it wasn't a lot since the owner was so moved by how much I adored it that he gave it to me for free (Along w/ other items I bought).

KC: I did post the silver mark "Ger. Silver" as well as the stamp that say WHSCO in an earth shape.  Just wanted to know pricing in case it's value needed to be accounted for in my homeowners insurance.  It probably does not, but the value of the piece far extends the "cheap" silver or the broken mirror.  It is a part of history that will probably never be repeated, when people carried calling cards and when a nickle and a dime could get you through a day of travel and eating.

Thank you all for your help!  I truly appreciate it!!!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, 02:13:07 pm »
Thanks D&b...that definitely changes things up alot....For those that are slow today, like me, and didn't take note from earlier posting....German Silver isn't silver at all and is a nickel based metal.  Because of the confusion and "trickery" that people were experiencing after such "silvers" were developed in the 19th C, if the metal content of an item does not contain silver then it cannot be called silver.  

Much like lots of other pieces from Mexico are being sold as silver on Ebay and the internet all the time...and they are not silver.  They are Alpacca Silver (Alpaca) - an alloy imitating sterling silver.  This bright silver-grey metal alloy is made up of copper, zinc and nickel (sometimes iron) and does NOT contain any real silver - just another name for Nickel Silver.  This term is used in Germany, Austria Middle and Eastern Europe, Mexico, S America and Central America.    Notably, in 1823 there was a contest among German & Austrian metalwork companies to develop an alloy that most closely appeared similar to silver (visually - not chemically or physically).  After the manufacturer, Berndorf AG, trademarked and made popular the brand name Alpacca, it became used more than "Nickel Silver".  

Definitely not saying that this individual was trying to deceive anyone...they are trying to find out info!  The piece is still nice and collectible....but the value is that of the market.  Would give it a value of $40 - 50 if in shape as seen and if chain is original (don't see many still attached).  Girlie items are in...and this value may be a bit high...but...it is a part of history!  Agree, save your money on the appraisal.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 02:40:42 pm »
Elipsistcu. we feel just as you do. you have saved a part of history that will never be seen again. that is exactly why we are here.
Hopefully you will return to this blog. shareing with us your treasures.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 07:32:51 pm »
Elipsistcu, I am sorry that I didn't catch that the first time about the German Silver and I was actually looking for a picture of the mark.

I know that it is disappointing for someone to give a higher value and then a lower one.  I have never wanted to be the one who dashed someones "victory dance" and know I did in this instance. This is not typical of information given out on this site and not reflective of the others.   Please accept my apology.

Please know that you have a piece of history that will only gain more importance with time as well as value.  If you plan on keeping this...please type up some information to be kept with it so that it's purpose and historical value isn't lost.

For some great information on calling cards (aka visiting cards) place in history and examples of calling cards:
http://www.daysofelegance.com/callingcards.html
http://www.literary-liaisons.com/article026.html
Even more interesting the gentleman's rules....http://artofmanliness.com/2008/09/07/the-gentlemans-guide-to-the-calling-card/

« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 07:57:57 pm by KC »