Author Topic: Blue Willow like platter - Help (UPDATED AND SOLVED EXCEPT VALUE)  (Read 1921 times)

wbfounts

• View Profile
I bought this platter today at a yard sale and it has no markings of when or where it was from. The lady was nice and she gave me the background on a few other antiques and they checked out for the most part. She seemed more unsure about this one but thought it was from the early 1900's.

I believe it is older because it is a more simple design then the common blue willow dish.

It has only two people on the bridge and no birds LIKE a Turner Blue Willow but doesn't have the same border design as one.

I need any and all information you have about this specific design and what not. Thanks!

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 01:50:25 pm by wbfounts »

opugnant

• View Profile
Re: Blue Willow like platter - Help
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 12:30:27 am »
It's definitely looks like a John Turner Blue Willow pattern, but I've collected quite a few Blue Willow pieces and never came across a border so simplistic.  I wish I could be of some help.  I'd be very interstested in information on this piece as well.

wbfounts

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 12:14:01 pm »
I wanted to add that I found a site that has an early turner piece, unmarked, for 450 dollars. it says that the earliest turner pieces were embossed and mine is as well!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 12:49:54 pm »
The interesting aspect of your piece is that it does not contain the doves (the love birds that were in the Chinese story that originated the willow design)!

Did you ever check out Nanking Porcelain - they have have many scenery designs similar to traditional blue willow and have exported from China forever.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 01:01:35 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wbfounts

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 02:46:09 pm »
I found out that this is the Two Temples Reversed Center Pattern, not by the John Turner man. Not sure when though..

wbfounts

• View Profile
Re: Blue Willow like platter - Help (SOLVED EXCEPT VALUE)
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 01:48:26 pm »
Just got this on another forum but they aren't allowed to tell value. Anyone wanna guess?

Your plate is indeed decorated with the Two Temples II Reversed pattern. It is an example of an underglaze rubber stamp pattern by Southern Potteries, Inc., Erwin, Tennessee, c. 1917-1957. In the 1930's the name "Blue Ridge" was adopted. The shape is Trellis Shape -- a molded border pattern under a wash of blue. The factory name was seldom marked on the back of the ware; however, the retailer's name is often found. This information is documented on page 154 of "Blue Ridge Dinnerware, Revised 3rd edition" by Newbound. I also devote several pages in my self-published work: "Willow Ware Made in the U.S.A. An Identification Guide."