Author Topic: Old teapot, possibly silver or pewter?  (Read 1718 times)

Coops

• View Profile
Old teapot, possibly silver or pewter?
« on: June 18, 2009, 07:39:54 am »
Hello there, my mother has recently purchased an old teapot and would like to know more information about and it's value, perhaps to sell on eBay.

Since my mother is fairly incapable of using a computer as she has never needed to before, she has asked me. I have searched all over the internet for information but I just can't find anything and it doesn't help that I'm not very knowledgeable in the antique subject matter. I has uploaded some photos to my photobucket account, here: http://s676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/c92_uk/

The hallmarks where hard to pick out on camera, thanks to it's poor focus  >:( so I shall just type what they are here too;
From top, left to right
Crown, with V.R underneath it. The letter A, the letter B, the center is really hard to make out, but it appears to be a + sign within a box. Next there is another crown, then a shield with a sword.
A date 1799 in then underneath,which could mean the date of manufacture or perhaps the date the company was established.
Underneath that is a number 4, perhaps a lot number or model number?

Finally, there is something that appears to be a star underneath.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks :D

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Old teapot, possibly silver or pewter?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 08:03:03 am »
Wish I didn't have to go to work, I might be able to help a bit more.  I'm not to familiar with this hallmark at all, scan a couple of books, but still unsure.
First the number 1799 is pattern number I'm sure, silver in that date would be sterling, and have different hallmarks, unless it is a old pewter pot.  At first I thought Victor Silver Co, but that don't match the hallmarks.  It is a wonderful looking pot to say the least.  If no one else jumps in before I get off work I will come back and look again.  I'm just as curious  ;D 

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 11:10:47 am »
My guess is that it's pewter .

Marshall Fields Department stores imported , in the late 1940's thru early 1980's , alot of pewter from a London dealer (Richard Mundey , died 1990) with the 'crown & VR' marks .
This mark is generally considered a false verification mark ( as far as an item bearing it to be a genuine antique ) .
It was intended to represent "Victoria Regina" .
By using such a mark , items could be 'considered' antiques & would be able to be imported to the U.S. without the usual tariffs & taxes & such , that new items were subject to .

Verification marks on pewter ( & other metals ) from England usually had a crown over a monarchs' initials .

Like I said , this is just my guess ( disclaimer , keeping in mind I've been eating a little crow , through the years ) .
That being said , I couldn't really clearly see the hallmarks in the images .

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 11:57:17 am »
I have a recipe for Black Bird Pie No Crow. I checked Sheffield plate no Show.

Coops

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 08:31:07 pm »
Thanks for the response so far guys. Perhaps it would help if I said I am in England? lol
I didn't realise this was mostly American users here, apologies.

So, anyway, I don't know if that changes anything. I'm going to try and carry on some reasearch mmyself too

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 09:18:15 pm »
Welcome from England , Coops !

(the 'uk' in your photobucket gave you away too)

No need for apologies about nationality (or lack of one) here !

Heck ... they even let me join the forum ......

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 09:27:55 pm »
Sorry for any discouragement you may encounter here, we are nice chaps at least  ;D.  Actually we have members all around the world here.  But that is neither here nor there  :P (o.k. bad pun).  I did look around a bit and found many items under Pewter items under Crown VR, Price ranges were 30.00 to 150.00 for mostly tankards, then lots of reference to Guns marked Crown VR, but that probably not the path we seek.  I'm sure what you have looks and smells like pewter  :o.  I have found nothing on the history or manufacture either.  Maybe a search on what reqularjoe may lead somewhere, he knows his stuff and I'm sure I have eaten more crow then him lately  ::).  I think this need a bit more digging and I will still look around too, and I'm sure the others will pipe in to come to some conculsion, so please hand with us  :-*.  We need a few more chaps to help balance our good ole boys here  ::).