Author Topic: james kent ye ole foley ware  (Read 6824 times)

glew05

• View Profile
james kent ye ole foley ware
« on: July 05, 2009, 10:06:41 pm »
Looking for any information on a set of dishes I have.  James Kent Ye Ole Foley Ware in stamped on the bottom.  Brown or maybe it is called rose color, farm setting on front.  

Do not have a picture at this time.  The marking is a round circle with a crown on top.  Across the top of the circle is written J Kent, across the middle Fenton, and on the bottom England.  Below the circle is written Ye Olde Foley Ware. 

History of what I know is that the dishes belong to the lady who introduces my grandparents many, many, many years ago.  They meet in Canada but returned to Wales to wed.  The lady was also from Wales. 

Thank you to anyone who can help me.  Have had these dishes a long time.  Have searched forever for information with no answers. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 07:31:53 am by glew05 »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: james kent ye ole foley ware
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 10:25:00 pm »
Can you post photos of any markings on the reverse of the pieces? That's where you can generally get your info from, by looking up the markings.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 08:38:25 am »
The J. Kent China Company of Fenton, Staffordshire, which was previously known as the "James Kent Company" and then after 1986 kown as "James Kent, Limited" - produced many patterns under the "Old Foley" Brand.

Here is a site that has the patterns of Ye Old Foley Ware in Blue & White  http://www.blueandwhite.com/museum.asp?m=Kent&p=Ye+Olde+Foley/ which are the more prevalent and popular ones.

To find the exact pattern is just a lot of searching!

I believe this is similar to your mark on the back.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 08:40:52 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 10:06:09 am »
From what I know of Fenton Old Foley Ware, this is an earlier (20th century that is) piece. It was popular around 1840-1940 (I know that's a long time, but probably later in that frame). I am not certain of the age I quoted, for I would have to see more pictures, but it seems about right to me. From some brief searching on ebay.uk (where I get all my good deals :) ) I found a nice piece, lots of crazing, that should be a good indicator of value for your set. Which, I'm sorry to say, is probably lower than you expected. Here's a link to an older, blue-white Kent fluted square bowl:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Antique-J.Kent-Ye-Old-Foley-Ware-Blue-White-Flute--Bowl_W0QQitemZ150343857305QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090507?IMSfp=TL090507123002r4365

Beautiful plate though, I think its sentimental value is much greater than its monetary value. Nice piece of family history.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 11:46:50 am »
Glew, has your piece got a British registration number on the bottom someplace? If so, you may be able to get a date range for it. This site is a good one for dating pieces of English pottery by their registration numbers. Pre 1883 pieces have a registration symbol, which is a really tiny diamond shape with numbers and letters in circles on it's points. With these old symbols, you can date a piece right down to the day it was made. Post 1883 have a registration number. This site has the info for British registration numbers and symbols:
http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/0pages/britr.php
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 12:02:39 pm by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 11:58:09 am »
This is a really good site.  I believe this is Chris marshall's site, member of this forum, if I'm not mistaken.  Really like this site