Author Topic: what is this?  (Read 7053 times)

luxetveritas

• View Profile
Re: what is this?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 11:05:34 pm »
He didn't necessarily have a hard time bending over, but it was useful, especially in age, to get a ball under a bush, that sort of thing. I don't think it was nearly as old as this one though.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 07:48:08 am »
Right on Regularjoe, it is a fish gig (or grabber). When one strikes the fish with it, it will spring shut impaling the fish. Most assuredly used in small streams or rivers at night time via use of a “carbide light”, or a lantern or whatever. Either wading or in a boat, if one is careful enough, one can easily get close enough to “spotlight” and “gig” just about any night feeding or spawning fish. 

And ps, that is why it is now illegal most anywhere to "gig" freshwater fish.

Check this newer version out, to wit:

http://itemlistings.ebay.com/sdcsrp_imsxf?fl=320376697935&sconstraints=PriceMin.Value%3D85&xm&IMSfp=TL090528153002r36919

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 09:20:59 am »
Great going Cogar....You beat me to it!!!!!!!

Was going to ask if he was a fisherman!

https://www.swordfishingcentral.com/images/store/230342135307.jpg
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

buzzell360

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 10:02:55 pm »
So ... 1. how long is it's handle ? 2. Are the tines sharp (they look it to me)? 3. What part of the world did your grandfather live ? ... can't really tell any scale or the actual size of this thingie ...

And by the way , buzzell360 , thanks for posting it here .... it's kinda a fun one to figure out .
1.The handle is 24inchs, the whole thing its self is 38 1/2 inches long 2. There pretty sharp 3. He lived in Hallowell,Maine

buzzell360

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 10:09:23 pm »
it may look like the gig thing, but i don't think it is cuz it takes a lot to shut this. its not like you poke the middle and it shuts. you have to push then it shuts on its own

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 11:11:32 pm »
Wouldn't have been for citrus - the last thing you want to do is pierce the rind (my family has owned groves for 6 generations).

Come on KC! It would pick the fruit, AND juice it at the same time! ;D
Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2009, 06:23:22 am »
Dontbe...you are so right....it would save on the weighing, washing and sanitizing processes that cost more to do these days.

I have let the years of food administration requirements warp my brain!!!!!!  AAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2009, 10:43:15 am »
it may look like the gig thing, but i don't think it is cuz it takes a lot to shut this. its not like you poke the middle and it shuts. you have to push then it shuts on its own

I'm pretty sure that if the mechanism was cleaned and shined up it would work much easier. And am also pretty sure if one struck the dorsal (back) area of a 12" to 20" fish hard enough that it would snap shut impaling it.

If one is gigging fish it is best to do it at night in shallow water, 10" to 18" deep, because that is where they come to feed, so it is no problem plunging the gig downward trapping the fish between the gig and the creek/river bottom and thus the mechanism would trip/shut. It would never work in deep water unless it was a big fish, 30" to 50" in length.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2009, 10:09:37 pm »
O.K. then ...maybe a sleepy lobstah giggah .