Author Topic: Should I try to sell my stuff on Ebay or look for an auction?  (Read 1967 times)

amd250

• View Profile
Should I try to sell my stuff on Ebay or look for an auction?

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Should I try to sell my stuff on Ebay or look for an auction?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 06:58:25 am »
That's your personal decision.  With eBay you can always set a reserve and it will be seen by people worldwide.  However, eBay like any auction is not a free service.  Also, with eBay, you need to be a PayPal member with a verified address. 

ayashe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 07:31:17 am »
Also to consider: you will have to ship all the items if you sell on eBay, or be prepared to have strangers (the buyers) coming to your house to pick up items too big to post. Could you be bothered with the hassle, esp if you are selling lots of things?

With an auction, you would have to transport the items to one place but if they don't sell, you'll have to pay for storage or take your items away until the next auction. And, I don't know for sure, the fees are higher for auction houses? Someone may have to correct me on that but I'm pretty sure they are!  :D 

You'll have to work out what's more convenient for you.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 10:09:23 am »
There's lots of ways to sell your stuff , and which way you decide to go is , as railman stated , your choice .
Auctions/auction houses can take a big margin away from you , most on-line sites have their costs & twists and turns as well .

Perhaps you might consider how much dough you're trying to get , before you make your choice .
Auctions/auction houses , consignment shops & etc. often reject items of low value .

With shipping , insurance  , advertising costs , taxes & etc. ......

You might consider something like free ads on craigslist , if they are available in your area .
Also , perhaps a 'estate sale' ad in your local paper .
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 11:36:30 am by regularjoe2 »

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 04:49:16 pm »
I think it mainly depends on the value of your items. Many auction houses won't be bothered with cheaper end items and it is more convenient to sell online. But if your items are $100+ a piece then an auction house will achieve higher prices usually.