Author Topic: Glass Pitcher  (Read 2458 times)

mikeinhouston

• View Profile
Glass Pitcher
« on: July 17, 2009, 05:16:25 pm »
This pitcher was in my great grandmothers house and has been in the family for over 100 years. I can find no marks on it but the bottom is worn. It seems to be Victorian  It is blue glass with an rough overlay. The top is metal and looks like it may have been painted at one time. I am wondering if anyone has seen anything like it or know who could have produced it. Thanks

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: Glass Pitcher
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 06:35:57 pm »
Nice pitcher ... looks to me like it's 'hand blown' glass .

Have you inspected all over the metal spout to look for hallmarks & such , mikein ?

mikeinhouston

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 06:43:18 pm »
I've looked all over and can find nothing. The interesting thing is that I had an appraiser in to look at some furniture a while back and he kept looking at it but couldn't or wouldn't tell me anything

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 06:45:22 pm »
That is a really nice pitcher in my opinion. I think that would go for several hundred dollars on eBay maybe. --Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but nice pitchers can get really high up there. Is there any damage?

Oh, sorry, didn't realize you were just looking for info. As far as that goes, I don't know. All I can say is it's highly collectible.

mikeinhouston

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 07:10:06 pm »
No damage  ;D

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 07:55:29 pm »
Nice pitcher for sure, are you sure Victorian?  That speaks Art Novae to me.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 09:46:01 pm »
Still thinkin' about this one .

Is the lip on your pitcher ground (or pin-beveled) flat , or does it appear to have been "melted" ....
also , what part(s) of the country did your relative live in ?

Do you have any idea what type of metal the 'spout assembly' is made of ?
It seems a bit odd that it had been painted (perhaps the glass artist used a 'found' item to mate up with this pitcher) .

Sorrry about all the questions , mikein ... should have asked them earlier .

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 11:11:00 pm »
Sometimes on blown glass the mark(s) are etched in the glass on the bottom.  Many times the light has to be just right to see these as they can be small and/or bearly etched in. 

mikeinhouston

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 12:24:54 am »
They came from the south of England in the mid- 1800's living in Penn. then Kansas then Okla. The lip is straight so that it fits into a 1/3 " slot in top. The top appears to be brass but not sure. The filigree around the bottom of the spout and beading around the top would seem to me to place it in the late Victorian but not sure.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 08:48:25 am »
I like this pitcher!!!  We have a large collection of pitchers....but haven't seen one like this with a removable spout.  (unless it fits really snug, I personally would be scared to pour for guests.....unless I really dislked them! ha!)  IF you hadn't told me it was in your family for a long time...I would have bet that it was made within the past 30 years.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 08:54:54 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!