Author Topic: another (beautiful old Victorian?) print  (Read 1898 times)

tara1245

• View Profile
another (beautiful old Victorian?) print
« on: July 15, 2009, 03:03:01 am »
This one is actually signed on the bottom right corner, possibly in pencil.  For the life of me I can't decipher it, even with a times 10 magnifier.  I tried to take a close up of the signature, but it came out blurry.  Later I'll ask my brother if he can show me a way to take a better in focus shot.  A piece of the bottom frame has come off and needs to be fixed.  It was actually a little shelf that ran along the bottom of the frame.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2520/3722139977_aac5b3b556.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3535/3722951016_c773038e37_b.jpg

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: another (beautiful old Victorian?) print
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 09:05:29 am »
Nice , soulful print , tara .

As a suggestion , you might consider taking photos of the artist's sig , taken at different exposures (over-exposed/under-exposed) from a tripod-mounted camera - if your camera has such functions .

Using this method , sometimes details (such as signatures) will 'pop-out' , where they were previously hidden in 'normal' exposures .

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 09:43:10 am »
Do you have any history on this?

Wow, the expression on the girl is intriguing and catches your attention!  Like it!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 10:18:43 am »
Very compelling, her eyes are captivating!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

tara1245

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 03:38:03 pm »
This is another thrift store find of my grandmothers.  She really loved thrift stores.  I asked her one time why she had tons of silverware that didn't match and she told me how you used to be able to find good silver and silver plate pieces in thrift stores if you sifted through enough of it. :D

I'll see about trying that camera trick.  I really love her expression too.

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 05:17:00 pm »
I know nothing of prints, but I agree with your grandmother's assessment of quality silver in thrift shops! I still find a good piece now and then, but a lot of it is just junk. Shame, I loved collecting sterling flatware :(

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 05:21:47 pm »
I too found more in the past...but many place around the area that I live even have copies of Replacements LTD's printouts with items to show they are selling for a good deal (just a little less than R LTD).  Shucks!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 06:37:16 pm »
Yup, know exactly what you mean KC. My last good flatware find was two years ago- a whole set of nice Gorham for $50 at a garage sale.

Haha, I have a good one. When my wife's mom died, my brother-in-law called an appraiser to appraise all her items. I came along and listened to what she had to say on everything, I learned a few things. However, she came across a drawer on an old cabinet, pulled it out and it was full of sterling flatware. She picked up a few pieces, "weighed" them in her hand, put them back and said "they weigh too much, they're plated. You can buy this stuff a dime-a-dozen at a garage sale. $50-60 insurance value" and moved on. All the pieces were clearly from the late 1800's and marked sterling. Wish I knew which garage sales she was going to :D