Author Topic: Flea market items.Did I do ok?  (Read 1688 times)

Keith

• View Profile
Flea market items.Did I do ok?
« on: July 16, 2009, 02:48:57 pm »
The first is a set of 3 saucers and cups.The second is the mark on them.I gave $15.00 for the set,which may have been a little much,but my wife liked them.
The third is,i believe,a small copper sign,which says ''BEWARE OF THE DOG,AS FROM 1st MAY 1864. SIR JOHN RUMBLELOW
WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR TRESPASSERS ATTACKED BEYOND THIS POINT'' i gave $1.25 for it,but i know nothing about it.
The last one is some type of chopper.It has Pnuttiest written on the bottom,with an anchor symbol.My son liked it and he gave $9.00
If anyone knows anything about any of these,please help us out.I've got a few more things, I'll post later.

Thanks,God bless,Keith
God bless

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Flea market items.Did I do ok?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 03:34:54 pm »
Someone correct me if I am mistaken, but I think the date on the dog sign is misleading. I don't think it's antique, I think it's quite modern and supposed to be a funny joke, considering that the name on the plaque is "Rumblelow" as in "rumble low", like a dog's growl. I think it would have been highly unusual for anything like that to have been created in the 1860's.

The veggie chopper looks like the kind I remember using in the early 1980's, I recall them being the forerunner of the food processor. But I think you could date it by the material of the handle. Is it plastic with a glass jar? If it is wood or metal, it could be earlier.

If you're antique hunting, it helps to look at what any piece is made of and how it is constructed. Then think about if those materials and construction techniques were available to people in earlier times.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 03:55:02 pm »
The handle on the chopper is wood,my son has,along with me,been selling on ebay and making a few dollars,we'll never get rich,but he has fun,and it is a bit of a learning experience.As for the sign,well i just thought it was unique,so i figured for $1.25 i could hang it on my shop wall.
God bless

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 04:15:56 pm »
I'm not an expert, so I'd say let's see what the others say!  :)
Antiqueaholic in recovery

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 08:11:41 pm »
     Keith I would say you did O.k. on these three items, or at least the cups, easily worth $10.00 plus a piece if sold seperately.  If you do this you have a free food chopper and wall decoration and a few dollars to take you and your kid out on another run.  Personnally I see little value in the latter two items but only you can answer the question on how well you did, not sure we have too many vintage food chopper experts here, I have used a couple, but even the one I own mostly sit in the cabinet behind the mason jars.  However I say you did well, you have entertain and had fun on the adventure, that is well worth more then the items you obtained.  Might want to clear out a spot behind the mason jars and when your son get older he will really have a vintage chopper to sell when grows up.  I sure wish I kept a few of my crazy finds when I was young, and I Would of kept them I would be buying those $200.00 items instead of the $2.00 one, or even 9 bucks  ;)