Author Topic: Grandmother's items  (Read 3347 times)

scarlettudor

• View Profile
Grandmother's items
« on: July 30, 2009, 09:59:11 am »
I'm so delighted to find this forum, as I know nothing about antiques.  However, I do have a few family treasures, some of which came from my grandmother, who got them from her grandmother.  They may be not the least valuable, which is ok.  However, if I could learn something about them, that would be great.

First is what my Grandmother Meredith (born around 1890) called a honeycomb dish.  She got it from her grandmother.  It's 10" tall and 6" wide.  It's a heavy glass with no identifying marks.  She lived in Ritchie County all her life and I assume her mother did, too.

I have no idea if I've gotten this file saving thingy right; will have to wait to see my post if I do.  I did create an account at file.genie and uploaded my pictures there, but am not sure how to access them here.

Second is my other grandmother's little sewing basket, about 6"x6"x4".  Grandma Mayme's grandmother immigrated from Ireland, I think around 1850, and it may have been from her.

Third is a set of pink compote dishes from Grandmother Meredith.  They are some kind of etched glass and, again, probably originated in West Virginia.

I hope the pictures are visible from file genie.  If not, I'll try again!

Thanks so much,
Sue Ellen

scarlettudor

• View Profile
Re: Grandmother's items
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 10:05:00 am »
Okay...I see I can upload directly from my computer, using additional options.  So, here goes again:

scarlettudor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 10:35:37 am »
Yaaay, it worked!  Does anyone have any ideas about these items?  I'd be glad to answer any add'l questions about them, but that's about all I know.  The honeycomb dish and pink compote glassware are likely made in West Virginia.  The little sewing basket probably came over from Ireland in the mid-1800s. 

Thanks again,
Sue Ellen

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 11:07:35 am »
Welcome to the forum , scarlettudor .

Nice little basket ... but I'm not sure what I'm looking @ , when it comes to what is inside of the basket .
Is it a thread/spool/needle case , or is it the bottom of your basket ?

It also looks like I see rivets (image is blurry , so am not sure) in this ....are they steel , copper/brass ?

scarlettudor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 11:27:10 am »
Joe, no rivets.  It looked quite old when my Grandmother Mayme gave it to my mother, her DIL.  It looks like it is hand woven, I'd say.  There is a removeable section of what appears to be blue satin, quite discolored.

I'll take some more pictures of the different sections of it (inside, bottom, etc.) and upload them.

Thanks for your reply.

Sue Ellen

scarlettudor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 11:48:47 am »
Here are more pictures of the inside of the basket.  The blue satin removeable part could have been to hold needles/pins.  The lid was once attached by tiny wires, as is the handle now. These may have been added later, after the time the original basket was made.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 01:40:31 pm »
Typically baskets had a removable section that would hold needles/pins...like yours.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 03:10:26 pm »
Sue Ellen, first, …… hello from Braxton ….. and welcome to the Forum.

Your “honeycomb” dish is an old footed dish/bowl/compote with lid, whatever. It might even be what is called Flint Glass. The picture is kinda blurry. Your Grandmother called it her “honeycomb” dish because that is what she used it for, to put a piece of honeycomb w/bee honey in it to sit on the dinner table. Back in those days that was commonly how one purchased their honey. ……. in the comb and probably in a quart mason jar. One just took some honey comb out, placed it in a serving dish and sealed the jar back up. Honey will keep forever, ya know, and some people even use it for treating cuts n’ scratches because it is anti-bacterial.

Your pink dishes are called “sherbets“, but again, the picture is blurry and I can’t make out the “pattern” and other details. And since there are literally hundreds of patterns, colors and shapes, and from common to very rare, I wouldn’t even venture a guess as to who made it.

Cheers, Sam C

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 08:13:02 pm »
Thanks for posting additional images , scarlettudor .

Although the images are not too focused , I'd really tend to agree that it is a hand-made basket .

The wonderful thing , to me , is that it was important/significant enough to the original owner to be passed-on to your mother .

Back in 'the day' , clothes were pretty valuable & mending/altering them was just considered 'normal maintenance' ... pretty much what we'd call today a "life skill" .

I'm glad for you that you've managed to hang on to these pieces of your personal family history .

scarlettudor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 10:29:17 pm »
Thanks so much, Joe, Sam and K.C. for you input.  I do treasure these items from my family's past and plan to pass them on to my children, with the little bit I know about them.  I think the original owners would be pleased.

Sue Ellen

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 10:01:18 pm »
Wow, it is great that these have survived so long, in such great condition- especially the basket! I love the honeycomb dish, it is one of my favorite antique "containers", to use a broad term.  Great family heirlooms to pass on!