Author Topic: Statue of an arab hunter on horse  (Read 2928 times)

Mikejesmike

• View Profile
Statue of an arab hunter on horse
« on: July 17, 2009, 10:52:13 am »
Ok got this about 1999, wasn't until just a few days ago I see writing on it, real small and etched in the metal and the light has to hit it just right to see it clearly. The etching said Emile Guillemin 1875. Seen similar designs online but all are bronze, can't find any online that look like this one. Anyone have any idea? I'm prepared for it to worth a ton or be worth around what was paid for it. Either way we like it no matter what.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: Statue of an arab hunter on horse
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 01:47:58 pm »
I'm rather unclear about what your statue is made of/from , Mike .... also , do you think that the etching you mentioned is an actual signature , or simply a 'marking' , casting , etc .
What size & weight is it ?

I found 'your' statue in bronze , for sale in N.Y.C. for $4600.00 - it's listed on e-bay as :
31" Guillemin & Barye Orientalist Arab Sculpture .
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 02:07:23 pm by regularjoe2 »

Mikejesmike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 07:36:00 pm »
I'm not sure either. I was thinking pewter, my mother is sure it's silver. The height is about 23.5" and it weighs 32 lbs. I think the etching is an actual signature cut into it. The letters are not perfect copies of each other.

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 09:21:26 pm »
I don't know much about this particular maker, bot 32 pound sculptures are beyond collectible! ;) ...especially if it's silver. Take it to a coin/pawn/jewelry shop and ask them to test it. They can tell you if it's silver.

--Lux

Mikejesmike

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 01:07:29 am »
Yeah might have to try that, how would a testing go? Just rub something on it?

Mikejesmike

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 07:08:09 am »
Could the color be a clue? Can you put color like that on silver?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 08:41:01 am »
That paint is what has me stumped.  To start off with, I have never seen paint like this on silver.  This could be "white metal" or even a platinum/lead combination.

However, if you look into the originals done by G&B theirs were bronze.  At one point molds were sold and it is unknown what was used to make them.

In addition, if you search for the "Guillemin & Barye Arab Sculpture" I have come up with over 9 so far....none are painted and one did have a wash over the rider.  They are all bronze, natural finish.

http://www.bronze-gallery.com/sculptors/artist.cfm?sculptorID=4
http://www.antique-horology.org/gallery/asp/object.asp?id=3002

Your best bet is to go have it tested.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 08:54:37 am »
Does it tarnish? That would be a clue
Antiqueaholic in recovery

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 09:11:07 am »
Thirty-two pounds of silver would be incredible.  Jewelers have a needle type tool that can test for silver.  I really doubt it's silver or any precious metal being that large and heavy.  You do the math.  Silver (.999) is $14.00 per troy ounce.  Silver takes on a dark patina and I would be dumbfounded if someone treated silver and changed the exterior natural color...

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 03:55:59 pm »
Yes, I agree with railman. If you really do want to test it, there is a chemical jewelers/coin shop/pawn shops use to test. The chemical turns green if it is silver. however, they would have to file a tiny bit of the paint off in an unnoticeable place to test the actual surface. But as railman says, it is unlikely that it's silver. I have seen silver statues that are close to that heavy (a German one just sold at Susanin's auction house in Chicago- it wasn't that heavy though) but none are painted. 

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 05:31:53 pm »
Still looking for another identical one , (of the same dimentions as yours) .