Author Topic: Post cards & Hand mixer  (Read 3610 times)

Keith

• View Profile
Post cards & Hand mixer
« on: July 17, 2009, 02:59:54 pm »
 The mixer came from my Grandmother.I have had it for awhile,it has Pat. Nov. 24-03.I would like to know if anyone knows about the year these were made?It says it was made by ''The Taplin Mfg.Co.''

The postcards,although i know have no money value,they do have a lot of sentimental value,as does the mixer.I came across the postcards the other day.The ''Be my Valentine'' one was sent to my Grandmother.
It is post marked March,7 1913.Just thought it kind of neat they are still in that good of condition,after that many years.The others were never mailed.
God bless

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Post cards & Hand mixer
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 05:04:54 pm »
You  could be surprised.  The postcards could actually be worth more than the mixer.

The mixers are sold many places (craft, second-hand and antique malls).

If you search for vintage postcards there are collectors out there that pay for them!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 05:27:05 pm »
I'm with KC on this one .

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 06:49:22 pm »
Yup, I agree with KC and Regularjoe. I have been looking on eBay for archaeological survey books in China (which are so expensive! Why are books so darn expensive!!) and have seen lots of old postcards that depict different sites, and they sell for quite a bit.

And while we're on the subject, there's an antique store in town that has thousands of postcards from like the 40s and they're very cheap. Any idea if they could be sold on eBay? When I say cheap, I mean like 5 cents for three or something.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 08:03:18 pm »
I see a man at the local saturday flea market each week, that sell Old Ads, poster and Post Card and etc.  Almost also has people going through is Post card, I have glanced but never that close, But Collectability of these are 5 on my scale of 1 to 5.  Now I'm going to have to scope out his cards tomorrow  ;D

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 09:23:48 pm »
I think I may visit the antique shop and buy the lot then :) I haven't been in months to this particular one, so I don't know if the postcards are still there. Fingers crossed!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 02:42:01 am »
Old Picture (photos) Postcards are the ones that are worth the big buck$ because of their historical value but they are what I will call “location sensitive”. Meaning they command the highest prices by collectors in the locale that is the subject of said picture.

And postcards being postcards, one might find a old picture postcard from Savannah, Ga, at a flea market in Seattle, Wa, and that is why one often sees someone thumbing through a big box of postcards looking for a “sleeper” that they know where to sell it at or to.

For instance, a PP of a Coal & Coke RR engine and crew might be worth 50 cents in Austin, Tx, but might sell for $100 in Buckhannon, WVa. 

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 09:04:34 am »
There are a few valuable exceptions too, such as cards with a historic event or person on them. Antiques Roadshow had a card with Teddy Roosevelt svaing the bear cub that was more valuable but I don't recall the figure they gave.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 10:57:52 am »
Thanks guys,(and gal) for the replies.I would have never thought that post cards would have been worth anything,although I see it depends on several different factors.

Here are three more that i found,although 1 is not in very good condition.
The first says ''FAIRMONT,IND. Old Academy West Ward School (392-4)
The second is a pic of two children,with a baby doll.
The last is signed in the corner L.E.Flick,1906
God bless

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 01:49:05 am »
Old postcards have always been an enigma to me.  I had thought their day had come and gone.  Obviously, to me, not as many people collect them as at one time but, there are still are collectors out there.  Real photographs are worth the most.  A few years ago on eBay some real photos of a town in WV brought close to a thousand dollars each.  I was convinced someone was writting a book or doing research and needed photos.  Real photos of railroad depots and famous people are still popular.  Real photos of exotic lands are popular.  Then there are the real fancy European made holiday cards which still sell depicting Christmas, Holloween, etc. which still sell.  The vast majority of postcards are worth less than a buck.  Like anything else, you better know what you're doing...

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 03:11:38 am »
I have a question- Are real photo postcards more valuable, than real photos tend not to be?

It always breaks my heart when I see boxes of old photos at flea or antique markets. Having spent years doing genealogical research and having gone to great lengths to locate photos of my ancestors (cold calling distant cousins who have no idea I exist and such) I can't imagine sometimes what motivates people to sell off the only record of what an ancestor looks like. That to me is such a horrible loss to the family! *climbs down from soap box* I know I'm "preachin' to the choir" here, but is it just me, or is the separation of photographs from a family a tragedy of unimaginable magnitude?

And to make matters worse, they sell 'em for next to nuthin' to be cut up by scrapbooking mommies!

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 06:50:41 am »
Boxes of old photos tend to be of family (portraits, etc.) while real photo post cards tend to be places or people of importance.  I agree, I don't understand why someone would dump photos of ancestors unless the bloodline stopped and the people were forgotten.  My daughter is getting to the age she won't be able to have kids.  When she's gone, I'm sure my wife's boxes of very old family photos will end up in some sale bin too.   

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 09:14:16 am »
it is sad. I mentioned the fact I came a cross a ''stack'' of old Hand written pulp paper. most in Old German. then english dateing 1850's & 60's
 A fantastic story a Young man leaves Germany for the u.s.in the 1700's around cape horn. destination was Baltimore Md arriveing many week's later.

He leaves Baltimore by wagon, for pennsyvania. he see's his first Fireing of a black powder rifle. there are request order's for uniform's ( Union) Hand written order's for Cannon's to be made of Wrought Iron & Steel.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 11:11:56 am »
Railman, why not think about willing those photos to cousins? Early ancestors usually had quite a few kids, I bet you could find some relations on your wife's side that would love to be the caretakers of those photos!

OH D&B! That IS sad! I guess he must have been ordering the uniform for a son? I wonder why he was ordering a cannon? That is really interesting, since you generally didn't bring your own cannon to a battle. My first thought was a local defense troop, since they allowed older men and young boys, but I don't know if they had them in the north. That is very interesting. Is the box is in your possession, if the soldier could be researched and identified with a particular regiment, a lot of times the historic places where these CW regiments fought or passed through can be very interested in this kind of thing and they are collecting copies of this type of info for their archives. At least his story would not be forgotten. Lord Almighty. Who in their right mind would have given up that kind of treasure?!!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 01:26:06 pm »
Wow...what a treasure D&b.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!