Author Topic: Carl F Bucherer watch  (Read 3292 times)

grannyd7

• View Profile
Carl F Bucherer watch
« on: July 22, 2009, 12:24:04 pm »
I have this Marcasite and sterling ladies watch that I know nothing about. It has marcasite and blood stone? Jet? or so I'm told. inside the case says 0.925  C Bucherer swiss 111963 F. the movement stamped C Bucherer  Three 3 ADJ Fifteen jewels
The watch is not working, would it be worth it to have it fixed, can anyone give me any information?

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Carl F Bucherer watch
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 01:23:16 pm »
I would say your watch is some what expensive, and worth a repair.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 01:30:27 pm »
I concur with D&B.  It could be something as simple as a good cleaning and oiling. 

grannyd7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 01:39:07 pm »
What would be the cost approx it have it repaired and could someone give me what the watch could be worth? I may need to add to my insurance. I can't seem to find this watch anywhere to get an idea of its value.

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 02:26:59 pm »
You should take it to a watchsmith and get an estimate to fix but even if it cost $100 it would probably be worth it because it's worth more running than not.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 07:41:24 am »
grannyd7, you really need to take it to a professional jeweler and get an estimate.  If it is too high, take it to another.

It is a beautiful watch and ad D&b said appears to be somewhat expensive. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 08:22:33 am »
Nice little watch , style & mat'l-wise , grannyd7 .

If you do take it to a jeweler for an estimate , you may be able to convince them to remove the back & check the inside of the cover for repair records (watchmakers/jewelers sometimes 'scratched' repair codes on them) ...in this way , you may get a clue as to how many times it's been in 'the shop' for service .
Sometimes lots of jewelers' marks inside indicate that the watch may be a 'problem child' , and using the data may help temper your decision to repair , or not .

Like KC stated , multiple estimates are a pretty good idea .

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 09:12:09 am »
Many times over the years the oil congeals and almost turns to mud.  On a delicate mechanism, this usually halts all movement.  It can be sonically cleaned and oiled for not a lot of dough.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 10:18:19 am »
I'm glad to see that information on watch repair. I have an old pendant watch of my great grandmother's with her initials engraved on the back. This makes me want to take it in to see if it could be repaired and an approximate date attributed to it.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 11:59:15 am »
I'm glad to see that information on watch repair. I have an old pendant watch of my great grandmother's with her initials engraved on the back. This makes me want to take it in to see if it could be repaired and an approximate date attributed to it.
Some watch makers such as Elgin kept complete records and you can find out the month, year and sometimes the day the watch was made.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 01:03:03 pm »
Thanks, I'll look into this and will post the results/photos on a separate topic so that I don't distract from this one.
Antiqueaholic in recovery