Author Topic: Any help would be greatly appreciated on this Bell  (Read 5593 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Any help would be greatly appreciated on this Bell
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 10:55:25 pm »
Okay, here is some of the information I have come upon....

The shape and type of bell can be used as a meditation bell/gong and a summons bell.  Can also be used in ceremonies.

These shapes are common in Africa, Tibet, India, Korea, China, Mongolia (previously) just to name a few.

Site to gaze at http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sungjongsa.co.kr/images/main02/emille(s)-1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.sungjongsa.co.kr/product-e.htm&usg=__bsj9VSfrCJWYf4D-Gh4S1iZk2AM=&h=181&w=181&sz=28&hl=en&start=15&sig2=ZcjDzfxaRbov4JYvopr9cw&tbnid=7PosyvWKZR5RpM:&tbnh=101&tbnw=101&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dkorean%2Btemple%2Bbell%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG&ei=ouJrSvvkO5votQPHjq2WBQ

Just more food for thought!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 11:01:08 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ayashe

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 05:36:42 am »
They're very pretty. Good work KC!

Kaytbell

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2009, 12:14:07 pm »
KC, you've been very helpful.  I have not identified it completely, but at least I have a start.  I have a few emails out to different people hoping they can put this "puzzle" together for me.  Thanks to everyone for the continued help....you're service and website are the best!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2009, 12:23:09 pm »
Just got a reply from a friend....they know it isn't Korean or Japanese.  Are leaning to Chinese or Tibet. 

Their comment was that it didn't have any relative symbolism that would be in a temple bell or "established" religious ceremony.

Felt it was a summons bell (could be to announce a meal, school, meeting place).
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2009, 04:27:07 pm »
This turning out to be a fun one .

I have a different (slightly) idea about this bell .

Could you post more images with the motif (designs) of the bell , Kaytbell ?
I've magnified & minimized the image you've posted , and for the life of me I can't discern what's exactly on it .... I really think there are clues there .

Where I'm leaning towards is a 'clear' bell ( sorta like a calling bell ) from an archery range .
Keep in mind that this is an old half-blind guy sayin' this .... ;)

Kaytbell

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2009, 08:20:24 pm »
I tried to clean the bell a bit more and possibly show more detail.  I took more pics, so hopefully this will help.  To me, the design looks more like tree limbs with some kind of leaf.  This design is different on each side.I also think this is turning out to be a lot of fun....thanks!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 08:26:17 pm by Kaytbell »

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2009, 08:09:58 am »
Could it be something to do with the Freemasons? Those symbols bring that to mind.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2009, 02:34:11 pm »
The flowers/buds and stem look like a willow or dogwood.