Author Topic: Oil on canvas painting of maybe the canals of venice  (Read 2938 times)

Bumbul25

• View Profile
Oil on canvas painting of maybe the canals of venice
« on: July 24, 2009, 02:32:06 am »
Hi everyone!  I need your help in getting information on artists and value of a painting I have of maybe the canals of Venice.  This is an oil on canvas. On the lower right hand side there is an artist signature I cannot discern.  If anyone can help it would be great.  I wish I knew who the artist is and do some research on it.  Thank you in advance for all of your help!  I have included pictures of the painting as well as the signature.

LIZ :)

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: Oil on canvas painting of maybe the canals of venice
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 10:44:46 am »
Welcome to the forum , Bumbul25 .

I'm really swamped with research projects right now , but I'll suggest that you begin by setting up a free account at : artinfo.com and search through the "L's" in the art prices area of the site ...this can be a bit exhaustive ....but , well ....welcome to my world ...

Sorry I don't recognize the sig , right off the bat .
I can do some snooping around on this one , next week sometime .

2 questions - could you post a pic of the back ? Is the matting on your painting covered by fabric (can't tell from images) ?

Bumbul25

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 04:20:37 pm »
Thank you very much for replying regularjoe2!  I think this is a wonderful site and it is incredible how active and informative this site is.  I will post a picture of the back of the painting later today. Also, I dont think the matting on this painting is covered by fabric (not sure).  I created a free account at : artinfo.com and have been searching through the "L's", hopefully I find something. Sorry I didn't respond earlier I was away on vacation when I posted the thread. :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 04:28:10 pm by Bumbul25 »

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 04:30:55 pm »
I think you're right about the site , Bumbul25 .

Seems like everyone has got something to teach or learn here !

BTW , I think you're right about the Venice theme (gondola is a dead give-away) .
There's a few side-canal bridges that are like those in your painting , but I've found no exact ones yet ( there's about 400 in venice ) .
I'm checking to see if it was perhaps painted there on-site , rather than one 'inspired' by the city .

These things can take months of research .
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 09:51:11 pm by regularjoe2 »

Bumbul25

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 05:55:14 pm »
Here is the back of the painting.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 06:06:14 pm »
Not sure how long ago Art & Frame was in Panorama City, CA but the place of business is now a home health care supply store.  Most likely was in the 60's.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Bumbul25

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 06:31:40 pm »
Not sure how long ago Art & Frame was in Panorama City, CA but the place of business is now a home health care supply store.  Most likely was in the 60's.

Thank you KC for that bit of info!  I did try to call the number but it was disconnected and found no info online about the company.

Bumbul25

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 04:32:58 pm »

I think you're right about the site , Bumbul25 .

Seems like everyone has got something to teach or learn here !

BTW , I think you're right about the Venice theme (gondola is a dead give-away) .
There's a few side-canal bridges that are like those in your painting , but I've found no exact ones yet ( there's about 400 in venice ) .
I'm checking to see if it was perhaps painted there on-site , rather than one 'inspired' by the city .

These things can take months of research .
.Any info and help would be greatly appreciated!  I know how busy you are, Im not in a rush.  I was going through names on artinfo.com and I found maybe two names that I think it could be but not sure (Luini, Luisi).  I would be interesting to know if it was painted on-site or someone was inspired to paint the scene. Thank you!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 04:34:30 pm by Bumbul25 »

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 10:18:31 pm »
It reminds me of a painting I have seen one before, it is not the same artist, but a similar painting. The theme is a very desired one, and oh so beautiful. Reminds me of my grandparents.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 11:41:49 am »
Have looked through all the popular scenes of Venice and this doesn't resemble the same architecture on the towers/buildings as the others. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!