Author Topic: Old small tilt top table, Can someone help identify ?  (Read 2166 times)

jasminne

• View Profile
Old small tilt top table, Can someone help identify ?
« on: August 03, 2009, 08:34:27 am »
I have a small table and would like to know if someone can help identify the type of wood and maybe give an approximate value? The table is about 24 inches tall.

I also have two matching Vase's, no markings on them, about 9 1/2 inches tall. These have a very pleasant high pitched ring. I am not an expert but I would think they are porcelain. I have searched for ages on these two vase's and can find nothing at all. If anyone can tell me anything I would be very grateful for your help.

I am trying to figure out how to make the photos smaller. I'll work on it. 

Tim

• View Profile
Re: Old small tilt top table, Can someone help identify ?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 01:28:22 pm »
Your table appears to be Mahogany. Not too old, 1940 perhaps. Your vases appear to be Bristol glass.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 03:06:25 pm »
Maybe it's the light of the flash...but the table top looks newer?  Much lighter in comparison to the base than those I am used to seeing that are all original.

I am not sure if this is true "bristol glass"....but it is definitely opaque white....or milk glass. 

Anyone else?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 03:24:09 pm »
I think this would be considered as milk glass.  I think that bristol glass is blue, not really 100% sure but will have to go look.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 03:29:40 pm »
Bristol glass was made in different colors....white was around...but was so extremely delicate that it shattered easily.  There is Bristol Blue.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 10:10:35 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jasminne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 07:36:37 pm »
Hi ...thanks guys :)

I have often wondered if the table was a 'marriage'. Sometimes it appears to be the same color and in bright light it looks lighter than the base.  From looking at the underside it seems to be made for it. So...I don't really know.

The vases are VERY thin, almost frail...I am totally surprised that they aren't broken yet lol.

Thanks for your help.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 05:01:15 am »
Now I was thinking that table top might be walnut. It is pretty thick to be made of solid mahogany, .... isn't it? And isn't mahogany a little darker than that?

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 07:40:45 am »
I actually thought of the marriage top and it may well be walnut. It looks to have been stripped and I thought the round top, (no finished edge, just round) appeared strange. The base looks to have what I call 'painted stain', popular in factories and helped to cover up imperfections in the different woods used.