Author Topic: Cola As A Cleaning Product ?  (Read 1817 times)

neobux

• View Profile
Cola As A Cleaning Product ?
« on: August 05, 2009, 11:17:40 pm »
Has anyone heard/tried/can recommend a great cleaning product to clean a grubby, old toilet? I can't replace it for now, and have heard that leaving cola over night, is the best way to combat stains and leave it good-as-new. Is this an old wives' tale, or can anyone suggest a great product ?

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: Cola As A Cleaning Product ?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 05:41:02 am »
Although I'm hesitant to suggest it , perhaps a pic might give a clue about what you mean by 'grubby' .

Sometimes glazes on such items have been damaged by decades of scrubbing with abrasive cleaners , and stains penetrate into the porcelain underneath - in such cases , the porcelain will remain porous & stains will constantly reappear ..... reglazing a funky old toilet might be just a crappy idea .
The words 'flower planter' come to mind ....

Plenty of OTC cleaners work , depending on what you're attempting to clean : CLR for lime deposits , bleach , vinegar , abrasive clensers & etc .

It's true that 'cola' is acidic , but it does contain coloring agents that just may stain your Thomas A. Crapper further .
To see evidence of the action of colas' Ph values , put a little of it on some aluminum foil & let it sit overnight .

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Cola As A Cleaning Product ?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 03:09:36 pm »
Like regularjoe said....cola is an acid and can stain as well.

I can remember in 4th grade our teacher had us put a piece of steak in a mason jar, pour coke over it, cover it and set it in the closet for 5 days.  5 days later less than 1/5 of the piece was left - eaten away by the acid!  Made an impact on me....so I never put my steak in coke!  :) 

LimeAway works great....even OxiClean.  Bleach too.  Depends on what has stained the toilet. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!